Quantcast

Bike rack suggestions?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I've got a new bike and an old bike rack. Any suggestions on good (yet affordable) bike trunk racks? I've got a '96 4dr. Corolla (no spoiler) and I've found that some bike racks are too wide and I can't fit my 16 inch. frame over them correctly. I've seen some nice ones from Yakima, Thule looks a bit expensive (seems like you might be paying for the name...any feedback on this?) and Saris looks good too.

Thanks in advance!

Beth

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I have always had tremendous luck with my Saris rack. I used that for about 3 years with no problems. Now i used a hitch mount Hollywood rack

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have one that I am not using....Don't remember who makes it, but I bought a new car with a hitch and roof rack system so my trunk mounted one has only been used a half dozen times and hangs in the garage. PM me if you're interested in it and I will ask the husband who makes it and how much.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
hooples3 said:
I have always had tremendous luck with my Saris rack. I used that for about 3 years with no problems. Now i used a hitch mount Hollywood rack
I have carried my Scream, Chaparral and a buddy's Intense M1 w/Profiles on my Saris Bones 3-bike rack, easily exceeding its 100# maximum while shuttling potholed fireroads. It is still holding up well and seems quite stiff and secure. Heck, I only paid $25 used for it at this past Westminster swap meet! :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
bluebug32 said:
I don't have a hitch...sadness

Beth
you can pay to have one put on. i personally can't stand trunk mounts. One time driving up I-90 and saw a couple of destroyed high end race road bikes along with the trunk mount, a distressed pissed off freaked out dude whom i believe was the owner of one of the bikes, and a car a little bit up the road with road bikes firmly attached to the roof rack. Looks like a bunch of guys carpoolin to a race, only half of the racers made it to that race i assume.

If you spend the worthwhile money for a real rack.... Sportworks.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
I'll work on that...I promise :)
I have a Thule Hitch Mount I'm looking to get rid of pretty cheap. I paid close to 300 new but I would probably be willing to sell for $150.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
How much does it usually cost to have a hitch put on a car?

Has anyone else had a problem with a trunk rack?

Beth

ps. Yup, I'm still going to the NYC bike show
The other advantage of a hitch is you can always use it for other sports or what-ever.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Skookum said:
If you spend the worthwhile money for a real rack.... Sportworks.
:thumb: :thumb: Perhaps the best investment I have made!

As for having one put on...do you have any friends who are handy? Most hitches are very easy to put on. We put one on my Equinox and on the Ram in about 30 minutes (each). You can buy hitches for under $100 too (I personally have had good luck with e-trailor.com and draw-tite hitches). Make sure you figure out which bike rack you want first so you ge tthe right receiver size.

The sportworks freeride/DH calls for a 2" receiver...definately don't get the 1 1/4" to 2" converter...:nope: it doesn't look all that stable to me! Also, make sure your bike will work with a hitch mounted rack. Some of them hook to the frames and others have trays to hold the wheels in.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
As much as I would love to put a hitch on with a rack, I just don't have the cash right now. I just bought a new Kona, so I need to watch it for awhile. But thank for all the great suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Beth