Quantcast

Bike Rack

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Howdy, so in august of last year, my trusty rack finally kicked the bucket after years of service. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a new trunk rack that could support at least 1 DH bike, ideally 2 would be best. The rack's going on a '93 accord and needs to be of the trunk variety...any and all recommendations are appreciated!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
gotcha well as of now any bike I'd be getting would have a pretty traditional tubeset but that could be a problem...what else i know someone out their rides DH with a trunk rack

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i'll definitely check into the one's you recommended, i had an old road gear that long out lived it's intended life, especially for a rack designed to carry hybrids not DH rigs...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Pony up and buy a used yakima or thule off craigslist. Trunk racks are crap.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
it's not a matter of putting up the money, it's a matter of not being able to put a roof-rack on the car...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hitch rack then. Trusting a multi-thousand dollar bike to a strap-on bike rack is not the best idea...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's a '93 accord. which body type?
Yakima fits the coupe, sedan, and wagon.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
why can't you use a roof rack?

I bought a Thule trunk rack off craigslist, it worked for it's intended purpose, but I really didn't love using it. I don't have a "downhill" bike, I have a Kona Coiler, dunno what it weighs, but with that and another bike on the rack I get pretty nervous. It works GREAT for carrying a BMX and my son's bike though. For fullsize mountain bikes I much prefer the idea of a roof rack or hitch rack.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
its the sedan, i'm not thrilled about putting a hitch on (that does have to do with money) and to be honest for the last 4 years i've been doing it and putting as many as 3 bikes on it and it held up just fine...i have faith in a trunk rack...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Roof rack all week long. Get a used one for $200 off craigslist.
Agreed, I have $105 into 4 bars, 8 towers, 2 bike racks and two snowboard racks. All I need now is the right Qclips which sell for $20 a pair on ebay and I'll be money.

Last edited:

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Hitch is the way to go. More secure and no straps when you want to take it off. With the weight of a DH bike, I always feel much better when it's not swinging around on nylon straps on the highway. But yeah, it's more expensive.