Quantcast

Bike Recommendations

Shwayd

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
San Diego, CA
Howdy. I'll be getting a new bike this year, and I haven't purchased one for so long that I don't know what's good anymore.

Quick bio: I'm ~6'5" and weigh about 250. If I get myself skinny (preferably by riding), I may get down to about 230, so I'll still need a sturdy bike.

I like to ride some technical stuff, but I tend to prefer going downhill through trees and rocks. You know, in places I'm likely to get friendly with a tree. I take drops relatively often (usually 6 feet or below, but I've been known to get saucy and drop down 10 feet, which seems to result in a bent frame). In reality, I'm a mix between XC and Free, leaning more toward XC. Either way, I'm getting full suspension.

My budget is looking like somewhere between $1000 and $2000 for a new ride (note that I have nothing to trade. I'll probably just buy a new bike).

Any recommendations on a good bike that I can get for that kind of cash?

Thanks,
Shwayd

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I have a spare Be One DH framekit. If you have a more recent model of the Sunn Radical Plus, I'll be willing to trade...or a Commencal DH frame. either or.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Shwayd said:
I like to ride some technical stuff, but I tend to prefer going downhill through trees and rocks.
Well we don't have any trees, but we got really pretty bushes and rocks.

Anyway, take a look at the giant faith, norco six, ironhorse 7.3, and maybe a kona coiler/stinky. Those should be in your price range.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Supergo is kinda the evil empire to LBS's, but they are blowing out Ironhorse Dh and freeride models for pretty cheap. I'm not personally aware of their durability, but I think they have good waranty and CS.

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I just got back into mtbing and bought a used Santa Cruz Bullit, thats what I would suggest. Spend the extra money on a tune up and maybe a few odds and ends to make the bike fit you and you got a great ride.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
Pegboy said:
Supergo is kinda the evil empire to LBS's, but they are blowing out Ironhorse Dh and freeride models for pretty cheap. I'm not personally aware of their durability, but I think they have good waranty and CS.
Supergo is THE place to buy A BIKE.... as for their Customer Service, I feel that is below par. However, I did see an '04 Iron Horse Freeride Team (I think that is what it's called, the top of the line one) for just over two grand. That is like $1500.00 off! Holy f'n sheet! If I could i'd jump all over that.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Orven said:
I have a spare Be One DH framekit. If you have a more recent model of the Sunn Radical Plus, I'll be willing to trade...or a Commencal DH frame. either or.

Hey Ozz, if you cant find anyone to pawn that frame off to, I know of a pro rider hint hint that can't find a frame hint hint sponsor and is looking for a frame hint hint. Just let me know and I will email him.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I have a sweet hardly ridden chumba zulu. If you accept you will be required to display my name on your helmet and make future appearances as required.

Shwayd

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the offer, Pegboy. I read that after I got my new bike, but it's probably out of my price range anyway. ;)

I ended up getting a Cannondale Prophet 600 because it felt better than any of the other bikes I tested and was the right price.