Quantcast

Bike related question: Shoes

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Hey :monkey: 's, I have a question for all y'all:

I'm in the market for some new bike shoes (for XC). I have gone through 2 pairs of Nike Yuha's in 4+ years. I have a narrow low volume foot (size 12) so needless to say finding a bike shoes that fit well is a challenge.

The Nikes worked good in keeping my heel from slipping which tends to be were most bike shoes do not fit me well. The LBS's here in "the Rock" tend to have a pretty limited shoe selection, so I wanted to narrow my options down before they go an order me some shoes.

Nike: I have been checking out the new Nike shoe line, but from what I understand they were redesigned after they stopped making the Yuha's, so I'm not sure they will fit the same.

Sidi: They make a narrow Dominator 4, but the shoe does not appear to have much ventilation (which is an issue here in Arkansas in the summer).

Shimano: I have been looking at the M221, but not sure how they would fit a narrow foot. I have heard they run narrow.

Specialized: I don't know much about these shoes, but they sure look cool.

So are there any :monkey:'s that can give me a little insight to my search for the prefect shoe?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by MMcG
To add to your list I have a pair of Diadora shoes and they fit pretty narrow and i don't get any heel slippage with them either.
I tried Diadora's several years ago, and my heel was all over the place, but that was several years ago. My riding buddy has a pair and he likes them, but he has "normal" feet.

Thanks for the input, I'll add them to the list.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Andyman_1970

Shimano: I have been looking at the M221, but not sure how they would fit a narrow foot. I have heard they run narrow.
I recently bought a pair of 221's and I LOVE them. I really wanted the Dominators, but they were actually too narrow for my feet. 45.5 was too tight, 46 was too big. Bummer. They were comfortable as hell though, aside from the smaller size crushing my toes. The 221's have a bigger toe box than the Dominators. The material is not as comfortable as the Sidis, but they are a great fit and a very durable shoe (I have two older pairs of 220's as well).

I have never tried Nike or Specialized MTB shoes.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I also have a narrow size 12 foot, and I've had a pair of Specialized for several years now. I think I bought them in '01 and they're the Comp model. They're all black with red accents. They fit pretty narrow and I've never had my heal slip. Occasionally my feet will feel like they've fallen asleep, but I think that's just due to me over tightening them (I have crappy circulation anyway). And they're not the best for cold weather riding. The narrow size doesn't work well with bulky socks. But, I'm happy enough with them that I'll keep riding them until they fall apart.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by BikeGeek
If the only problem with the Dominator is the lack of ventilation, check out the mesh version. Sidi makes several other shoes with mesh too, the Catapualt, Rocket, and Rampa.

http://www.sidiusa.com/index.html
The narrow Dominator only comes in what appears to be "regular" not mesh. I found a Sidi dealer here in Little Rock, so I'll swing by and try the normal (non-narrow) and see how that fits.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The narrow Dominator only comes in what appears to be "regular" not mesh. I found a Sidi dealer here in Little Rock, so I'll swing by and try the normal (non-narrow) and see how that fits.
Yeah, I overlooked your need for a narrow shoe. Good luck.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I am currently using diadora skorpiones. I have a fairly narrow flat foot. They've got excellent ventilation. And the fit is spot on. Definately no heel slipping. They are reasonable stiff but not so stiff as to be uncomfortable when hike a biking.

The soles are showing some wear but that's because they are legitimate rubber soles that are made out of concrete (ala Sidi) that give you traction when you need it.

The durability gets high marks from me as they are showing relatively little wear on the uppers.

The graphics are a bit much for me but the fit is worth it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I have really narrow feet as well (maybe a big higher in the arch than you are describing) and the 661 Attack shoes fit me perfect.

Shimano might work, but try them on. I tried on the whole road line before finding out that the SH-R125 fit my foot miles better than any of their other shoes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I would suffer lack of ventilation if the best fitting shoe is too hot.

Are the Nike Yuha's no longer available? You can't find 'em on line?

I guess Diadora makes all sorts of sizes cuz I have a wide foot and the Geko's were the only pair that fit me me. I :love: Diadora products. Their motorcycle boot is wonderful too. And I have Diadora Leggera roadie shoe. And I have Diadora stickers on my bike rack.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Good to know.

These were the Specialized I was looking at:
Yeah, those are the latest version of what I have. Mine only have 2 velcro straps, but its plenty. What helps with slippage is that under the tongue, there is a neoprene sleeve that you slip into, so the shoe is held on very well even without the velcro straps.

If I could change one thing about them, it would be to make the tread a tab bit softer/stickier. The hard plastic tread has a tendency to not grip well on rock when you have to scramble.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I have the same kind of feet... I have gotten the best fit out of a pair of Lake shoes (circa 2000). I wore them out and have yet to find a shoe that fits better or is more comfortable that they were.

Best part about those shoes is that the said 'Phat Catz' on 1 of the straps... I dont know what 'Phat Catz' is all about but it added large amounts pimp factor.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Damn.....Done alot of centuries in real hot weather...Never realy bothered by foot heat! You must have some sensitive tootsies! Sidi is the only shoe to go with...Less ya is gettin a pair of winter booties, in which case Lakes are the boss. Are ya actualy suffering from "hot foot" due to a bad fit rather than hot feet?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by Clark Kent
Damn.....Done alot of centuries in real hot weather...Never realy bothered by foot heat! You must have some sensitive tootsies! Sidi is the only shoe to go with...Less ya is gettin a pair of winter booties, in which case Lakes are the boss. Are ya actualy suffering from "hot foot" due to a bad fit rather than hot feet?
My feet don't get terrible hot right now with the shoes I have, but they are pretty well ventilated. My concern is the Sidi "narrow" are not mesh and they might be a wee bit hot on my mid-July 100+°, 3 hour Cambodian death ride (as my wife calls them).