Quantcast

bike related thread, some parts changes I made

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I love my bike, it's a diamond back sorrento that was under $300.00 complete. I broke half the stuff on it and replace it with better stuff. the only thing left that is stock are the bars (cheap round pipe) and the front derailer/shifter/brake lever(the lever and shifter are one unit).

the only problem I have with the bike is, there are times it feels too short in the front end, like, i'm almost pitched over the bars. I have a super short stem on it and last night thought, "maybe i'll swap that stem out for a longer one.."
In my stash of crappy bike parts I had a GT stem from my bmx bike. it is a tad longer but I figure what the hell, I'll throw it on. well, I wanted to just swap my stem, but the bars that came stock are larger around where the stem clamps so that wasn't going to work.

I had a pair of Planet X bars in my closet and they are the same size as the bmx stem. so I had to pull off my bolt on grips, levers, shifters and my cuntputer. no big deal, but more then I wanted to do...

anyways, now I have a slightly heavier front end and a slightly longer front end. and slightly wider front end, because the planet x bars are wider. I'll give it a go with them wider and if I don't like it, cut them down.

why do you care? it's bike related.....:D :nuts:

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I had a bright orange DB Accent back in the day. With the good old Mag-1(?) from RockShox and a Girvin Flex-stem for nearly 2.5 inches of travel....I loved that bike too. I even ran a 52t chainring from a roadie for more downhill speed.