Quantcast

Bike Shipping Costs, what happened??

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Anyone know why USPS is now offering only their most expensive service, the GXP international service, to most countries? All of 3 or 4 years ago you could ship a frame to Europe for about 100 or a bike in two boxes for 250 or so. Now I can't find any way to ship a bike to Europe for less than 1200 dollars. Last I checked gas isn't $10/gallon yet, maybe it's anticipatory pricing. Jackasses. The post office needs to die already, they are worthless defunct business. You can't bolster a failing business by charging more and offering less.

Anyone found any alternative means of transport that is reasonable? UPS and Fedex are even worse. At these prices I could buy a plane ticket to Europe and just deliver the bike myself, what are these people smoking?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's insane. You can do 1 frame to/from england for about $350. Complete bike about $500. It's absolutely ludicrous. Shipping from North America to Oz is about $600+ with fedex or ups.

I too remember $150 shipping days...5 years ago. Lame.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
wow, this must be very recent. I just shipped a bike to Moscow in two boxes for about $185. The bike shipped 1st week of December.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Anyone know why USPS is now offering only their most expensive service, the GXP international service, to most countries? All of 3 or 4 years ago you could ship a frame to Europe for about 100 or a bike in two boxes for 250 or so. Now I can't find any way to ship a bike to Europe for less than 1200 dollars. Last I checked gas isn't $10/gallon yet, maybe it's anticipatory pricing. Jackasses. The post office needs to die already, they are worthless defunct business. You can't bolster a failing business by charging more and offering less.

Anyone found any alternative means of transport that is reasonable? UPS and Fedex are even worse. At these prices I could buy a plane ticket to Europe and just deliver the bike myself, what are these people smoking?
Huh. Many countries are a 79" L + girth, and that rules out most any bike/frame/wheel box. For countries that are 108" you should be able to ship a frame Priority Mail, don't think anything changed there. They just updated their website for the first time in ages and they kind of hide the Priority price from you under "Calculate Postage".

Obviously a complete bike will need more than one box to fit under 108".

Good luck!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I know for some countries you can still do priority, but 2 of the countries people have asked about on my current bike sale were GXP only. The recent one was Hungary, the other was Brazil I think. With the 79" limit you cant even ship a frame with the swingarm removed and stuck inside or around the mainframe. I was half joking about being able to deliver the bike for less, but actually I can fly to Hungary myself for 400 less than shipping would cost. Do they have good strip clubs in Budapest?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
UPS hasnt been to bad to me, are you sure your using the smallest possible box? Find a friend with a commercial account in anything?

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Anyone found any alternative means of transport that is reasonable? UPS and Fedex are even worse.
I booked a 1/2 doz UPS planes from Nov thru Dec and got a great rate per pound...but then again I was utilizing the entire plane. The Christmas/EOY push is over, the economy is still limping along and there's no issues with capacity, air or surface so maybe USPS is finally charging the correct rate...:confused:

J

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I know for some countries you can still do priority, but 2 of the countries people have asked about on my current bike sale were GXP only. The recent one was Hungary, the other was Brazil I think. With the 79" limit you cant even ship a frame with the swingarm removed and stuck inside or around the mainframe. I was half joking about being able to deliver the bike for less, but actually I can fly to Hungary myself for 400 less than shipping would cost. Do they have good strip clubs in Budapest?
Use two boxes ;)

I got my wife's old medium ASX to the island of Reunion in two boxes under 79"... well not actually under but close enough that they accepted it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yes, yes they do. :D
First Maribor, now Budapest. Im begining to think you only work as a photographer to get a chance to do some strip club turism ;)

As for the price - If someone is willing to wait sending frames by sea should still be cheap. 2 boxxes also seems like a good idea.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I recommend checking with bikeflights.com. I used them to ship my bike recently and it was cheaper than using our regular company discount. I think they are getting bikes to Europe in the $350 range and have a pretty cool insurance deal if you're traveling for an event. They use FedEx by the way.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
They redesigned their website for the new year. Now you have to click on the header for each "class" of shipment. Priority Mail is still an option. Explore the page a little more :)
But FYI, Nex is a good option as it's basically DHL for half price, and is great when shipping stuff that is too big for USPS international.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Damn those are a bit nuts!, I shipped an complete Tazer last fall to Singapore from the east coast of canada for 214 bucks!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Holy Crap Batman! I just checked USPS's site for shipping a frame to Brazil and it said 660. I'm gonna have to check my box measurements when I get home.
You did click on the priority mail option right? They only show express on the page but the rest of them are there in their own little header.

There is no way that it would cost $660 for a frame to Brazil, (unless you are shipping UPS).