Quantcast

Bike Shop Owners

Aug 6, 2005
I'm taking a highschool marketing class this year, and the unit is starting and running a new store. I, suprisingly, am starting a bikeshop. The current assinment is "how much money does the average person spend at you store each visit"

If any of you guys have estimates of how much a bike shop makes a month, how many ppl stop by in a hour/day, or how much they spend...it'd be cool of you to help me out!

I guessed I'd get $11155 a month in sales and the entire class is using 100% mark-up, so cost of goods is $5577...

am I even close??????????

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The mark-up is way off. As for the amount people spend, that differs greatly, the shop I used to work at/ do the books for, we averaged $7500/day and the # of customers varried between 1 and 50 but the money earned stayed about the same, but some shops average $500/day or less. It all depends on the market, product in stock, ect. but does having accurate numbers really matter for a H.S. class?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
No.

Whats the markup on a complete bike? 30%, or thereabouts?

Do repairs count as sales? How do you factor in labor?

Smaller, cheaper items have higher markups at the bike shop (IE, tubes are usually around 300%), but you aren't going to make 11k a month selling bike tubes. More expensive (complete bikes, more pricey parts) stuff brings a lower markup.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
maxyedor said:
but some shops average $500/day
I worked at a shop that probably made $1000/day. They might sell a single low end bike at 300-700$, and the rest would be from repairs. Very few people came in and ordered higher end parts.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
accessories are marked up around 30 to 40%.
Bikes can be between 5% to 20%
Service is calculated by time (your labor to fee ratio)

You don't make money at a bike shop...

Own a liquor store.