Quantcast

bike shops factory price

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't think it is unreasonable to charge 100-500% markup on the under $5 items. Although when I hear it costs $30 for a derailleur hanger...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
sanjuro said:
I don't think it is unreasonable to charge 100-500% markup on the under $5 items. Although when I hear it costs $30 for a derailleur hanger...
I agree, especially if you have a storefront to fund. I don't think $30 for a hanger is pricey either given the cost of most frames.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Spunger said:
The "you pay double that" atleast lets you know what all the parts cost in the shop (for the most part).

That guy is an idiot. They make 2 books for a reason. 1 that has wholesale prices, and one that has retail so your customers can browse.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
MTB_Rob_NC said:
Being in the automotive industry I find these threads amuzing.

Especially the folks that are saying... Oh let them make their profit, you shouldn't have to know what their x-cost is or their y-cost.

Just because you KNOW the cost or want to know the cost doesn't mean you are complaining about price. It just makes you an educated consumer.
yeah but 90% of the time when somebody starts getting me to break down my bid.
the next step is them chiseling away at my labor charges.

i never do mind explaining things to a customer in order for them to feel at ease and not feel like they're getting ripped off.
and many homeowners are good at educating themselves before taking on a major project.
it's the ones who watch all these home improvement t.v. shows that show everything in a half an hour time slot. and never truely letting on how much things cost.
those are the ones that get "sticker shock" when a price is laid before them.
inevitably you'll come back the next day to, "why does this cost this much" or "i think i can do it for less than that" or "i had no idea. let's talk about this"
that's not an informed homeowner. that's a cheapskate.

that's the same mindset we're talking about here.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
nycurse said:
so i went to my bike shop today and i was talking to one of my firends who works there. He said that tubes cost them .10 cents each if you do the math when you buy the whole bundle. thats cheap. cause i hate buying tubes that are like $7-$14. whats the amount a bike shop pays for the bikes in the shop and how much do they make from it.

I did not read the whole thread, cause these threads honestly Disgust me. Dont people relize by now that some items are Awesoem bread and butter markup, like tubes for example, and yes when you buy a thousand at a time there 10 to 20 cents each. Markup up on bikes is much much much lower, profit isnt in teh bikes, its in everything to go with. And repeating this in this thread again from many others, please for teh love of god do NOT think this is contained just to Bike shops, Try looking up markup you pay for groceries, or auto parts, or anything. On average Everything you buy, the price has been doubled, with exceptions like NEW bicycles, New Motorcycles, and New cars ETC....

Please dont think i am going off on any one person, just soo many people do not understand the Retail world, Big markup is how profit is made, And like othrs have said, if you want wholesale cost, open your own shop, and pay wholesale, other than that, too bad, pricing isnt going to change its just how the world works.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
boostindoubles said:
i was in the LBS yesterday looking at disc rotors. they didnt have any that fit me in stock, so he was letting me look through his catalog. After a bit i asked him what he was going to charge, and he said, "see these prices, theyre what i pay, you pay double that."

first, he probably shouldnt have let me browse his catalog, but second he shouldnt have told me i was paying double.

Well, depending on teh person, and weatehr or not you think they can handle actually seeing the markup, He probably realized your not gonna freak about it. I actually have to stand back and look at this a little differently. I think alot of people freak out on Bike shop prices for two big reason's One is Bikes have a Huge Internet availability, And like others said Mail order wins off Volume. Second, In teh Bike industry, it is alot easier to see and find out what things cost the retailer's. Most people would be sick if they knew what they paid in markup for moste verything in there life.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
dan-o said:
I agree, especially if you have a storefront to fund. I don't think $30 for a hanger is pricey either given the cost of most frames.
$30 is a ton of money for a derailleur hanger unless you are buying a bike with a CNC'd hanger or a boutique bike using non standard hangers. The generic Giant hangers are $7.50 and they retail for $15. To me thats reasonable. $30 for a hanger that is widely used and made for about a nickel is expensive.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
sanjuro said:
Compare it to motorcycle shops. Most are exactly like car dealerships, and whatever the computer spits out for a price is what you pay, no discussion.
completely untrue.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
bballe336 said:
$30 is a ton of money for a derailleur hanger unless you are buying a bike with a CNC'd hanger or a boutique bike using non standard hangers. The generic Giant hangers are $7.50 and they retail for $15. To me thats reasonable. $30 for a hanger that is widely used and made for about a nickel is expensive.
I guess but all my bikes are boutique bikes so a $30 part for a $1200+ frame seems reasonable. Paying $30 to get a $3k bike running again is peanuts.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
rooftest said:
completely untrue.
I'm with rooftest on this...I've never paid what the computer spit out, and I've bought 2 new dirtbikes in the last 2 years. It's all about establishing a relationship with your shop, just like a bike "pedal" bike shop, because they know they are making the real money from you on parts and accessories.