Quantcast

Bike Shorts, what to get?

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
First off, how come they cost $90? WTF? Is there something cheaper than that? Any reputable online sources?

Secondly, is it better to wear padded liners with a normal pair of shorts, or to simply wear the biking shorts themselves?

Jon.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Nema Jewels and Crown Jewels for baggies or Voler for lycra. I've got some of the Hoss baggies on the way to try too and they're a pretty reasonable price.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I go for a combo of a separate outer shell and inner short. More versatile (esp. if you have a road bike...) and if you damage the outer, all you need to do is replace that, instead of the whole shebang.

Plus, I just like the look/feel of the outer shells more than any of the combos, and I think the liners of the combo shorts generally suck compared to a decent lycra cycling short. And if I'm riding DH, I can just wear cheapo coolmax compression shorts.

Fox is my favorite all-round outer short (the Huck model, I think) and Troy Lee Motos rule for DH.

MD

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
For shorter rides (two hours or less), the combo baggies work ok for me, I like Oakley or the longer Nemas. For longer days I prefer Castelli lycra under a baggy outer. The higher quality chamois really pays off.

I know guys that ride in boxxers or whatever but I've never been able to understand how they don't mind all that banging around...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'd recomend bib shorts over regular spandex MTB/road style lyrca short. The bib is way more comfy without that gawdawful elastic waist band. Only down side is that taking a dump involves a bit more than a regular pair of shorts.

Seriously, try on a pair of bibs, they're so niiiiiiiiiice.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
OGRipper said:
For shorter rides (two hours or less), the combo baggies work ok for me, I like Oakley or the longer Nemas. For longer days I prefer Castelli lycra under a baggy outer. The higher quality chamois really pays off.

I know guys that ride in boxxers or whatever but I've never been able to understand how they don't mind all that banging around...
I agree. Baggies are okay for shorter rides but I find that the chamois in almost all of them is not very good comfort-wise and doesn't last as long as a regular short.

For longer rides, normal cycling shorts are the ticket. My favorites are Castelli and the mid-high level Pearl Izumi stuff. Plus, regular shorts are a must for road riding because of the time spent in the saddle and in the same position.

For whateve reason, I don't like the feeling of riding with regular shorts and a baggy outer over them. I'd rather just have a sewn-in liner or regular shorts with nothing else.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
imageWIS said:
First off, how come they cost $90? WTF? Is there something cheaper than that? Any reputable online sources?

Secondly, is it better to wear padded liners with a normal pair of shorts, or to simply wear the biking shorts themselves?

Jon.

This mob make real high quality stuff......Ground effect :thumb:

* note prices are in NZ dollars but the site has a converter for us aussie english and euro currencys.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
stephanie said:
TLD moto shorts (bombproof, have pockets)...for dh and freeride adventures. For xc/trail rides...Fox.
A wise woman.

We have reached the same conclusions about the same gear, even though we assumedly have different, er, gear...