Quantcast

Bike sizes for human sizes

Apr 23, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Transitioning to FR/DH from BMXing.

I'm 5'8" and 185. stocky built and I'm 39 yrs old.

After trying several FR/DH bikes I'm kinda confused. It seems I'm heavier than the younger guys and the smaller bikes seem like I might be too heavy but then the larger bikes are a little longer than I like.

I bought a RM Switch size small w/ a 800# spring.... I like it but it seems short.

I also bought a Kona Stinky small with a 700# and it seems squishy.

3rdly I also just bought a Kona Stab size med hoping to make a fit.

Just bought these 3 all within the last month.... I know kinda crazy....for me and my 14 yr old to ride together and train our dogs.

Should I be looking at larger frame sizes for my weight?

do you like the fit of the medium stab. You can change around stems for small differences in length, or move your seat back. Btw nice bikes, and i sure wish i had bike to ride like that when i was 14.
good luck with the fitting, you could take it to one of those bike fitting dudes, or if you bought it at a bike shop, take it back, and see if they can help you out, otherwise it may be just something new, and you will have to get used to it
hope this helps the tinniest bit:)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
At 5'8 you are probably boarder line small/med in most frames. A small would feel more cramped especially with a short DH/FR stem on it. A medium would open up the frame. Truth is if you have a small frame the only way to make it longer is to add a longer stem (which might be funky on a DH bike). On a longer bike you can run a short stem or long one depending on how/what you like to ride.

Lots of things on OEM bikes can make for a funny fit. Setback seatpost vs. a non-setback, too long of crank arms, seat positioned wrong. Take a look at things and see what's wrong. A small might fit fine if it had the offset seatpost and maybe a 10mm longer stem for you. Or a med. might fit with a non-setback post and a 70mm stem.

Too many variables, but there's somethings to check before going crazy :)