Quantcast

bike sizing question- can i go smaller?

nick.iodice

Chimp
Feb 27, 2008
im a bit taller than 6'1 and im trying to buy an Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho type R (my first DH bike, but i have done some DH before). i will be riding mostly lift assisted DH at attitash and the surrounding mountains. most of the trails at attitash are tight, steep, and turny.

will a medium (17") sized bike be too small for me? im having a hard time finding large, and i feel that the larger sized bike will be tougher to turn through the tight stuff i will be riding... any input is appreciated

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I would say yes it would be to small. A friend of mine has a medium and I felt pretty cramped on it. I am 6' BTW

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
A lot of my friends with a bmx background prefer a smaller frame. It's all up to what feels best for you. I recommend checking out your lbs and test riding a medium vs large.

nick.iodice

Chimp
Feb 27, 2008
^^what kind of bike was that??

i will try and go to a bike shop and see what feels best though, but some more opinions would definatly help!

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
^^what kind of bike was that??

i will try and go to a bike shop and see what feels best though, but some more opinions would definatly help!
My friends were sizing out Specialized and Haro. Frame sizes among manufacturers are really different so feel out Iron Horse if that's the brand you want.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've got a 19" kumicho R, and test rode a 17" prior to that.

I'm 6'4" and the 17" didn't feel too bad in the parking lot... as long as you don't mind bashing your knees on the bars once in a while.

the 19" fits perfect, I'd say hold out for the larger frame. Spending cash on your first DH bike and not having it fit right would be disapointing.

BTW- where are you finding 17" kumicho Rs? It's about time for a new frame for my g/f...

nick.iodice

Chimp
Feb 27, 2008
I've got a 19" kumicho R, and test rode a 17" prior to that.

I'm 6'4" and the 17" didn't feel too bad in the parking lot... as long as you don't mind bashing your knees on the bars once in a while.

the 19" fits perfect, I'd say hold out for the larger frame. Spending cash on your first DH bike and not having it fit right would be disapointing.

BTW- where are you finding 17" kumicho Rs? It's about time for a new frame for my g/f...
thats just the kind of thing i was looking (and hoping) to hear! i will definatly try and get the large, but if i cant find anything untill the summer, i might just go for the medium. ill try and test-ride the bike before though

i am finding the bikes mostly used online (pinkbike and bustedspoke.com both have some i think). i wish i could find them new, but everywhere near me and online doesnt have em! if you find anywhere, please PM me though, i would love to try and find a good deal on a new one.