Quantcast

Bike storage, apartment edition

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Just moved into a new apartment and need options on some bike storage. I have 3 bikes total and would like a tidy way of storing at least 2 of them without taking a ton of floor space. I would thinking of the vertical type stands. Has anyone used one of these and your options on them?

-Brett

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I was in a similar situation. My road bike is securely locked in underground bike storage, but my mountain bikes were too precious to leave anywhere outside of my immediate living space.

I didn't want to drill either, and I don't like the optics of having bike stacked on a wall-leaning rack as it makes the room feel small to me. I got a couple of these things, and they work brilliantly with both my trail bike and downhill bike. All wheel sizes fit fine to my knowledge

http://smile.amazon.com/BIKEHAND-Mount-Bicycle-Stand-Storage/dp/B00BW4TP7C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441386136&sr=8-3&keywords=bike+hand

Only complaint is that it doesn't look like they have any plans for an enduro specific, Boost-compatible version with speed holes.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
just take the front wheel out, rotate the fork 90 to get the bikes 'flat' as possible, then remove pedals, cranks, rear mech and seat post. Put all the parts under your bed.

Or consolidate all your bikes into one, do-it-all style bike.

Or for maximum space saving keep your bikes outside at your mother in laws house.

Before you suggest I'm a troll these are all suggestions my wife gave me. I settled for keeping them outside next to the grill and trusting that it wont ever rain again in california.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Why reluctance to drill? Renting? Filling & sanding when you move out takes 10 minutes.

I had three bikes hanging from hooks in a piece of 2*4 bolted to the ceiling in my old place. Took 5 minutes to clean up to the point the landlord couldn't tell when I moved out. Now the 8" round hole I put in the drywall moving the couch out is another story...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I've used the metal version of this for years and still do. I hang two, lean a third. If you mount it further from the wall, you could hang two more on the other side. Only trick is that you have to have it firmly attached to the ceiling/floor and non-slip so it doesn't come down. Recommended. Got mine on craigslist for $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Floor-Ceiling-Storage-Rack/dp/B00IPJCUQK

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Less weed? Hardly an option!

Market is rising here, but I may not be here very long so a house is not the best option right now and to get a home loan you have to be in sales for at least 2 years at the current workplace.

-Brett

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I had made my own floor stand when I was in my brother's house for in the basement, just took up too much room for use now. I believe I am going to like this pole rack a lot.

-Brett

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As someone with 6 bikes in a 2 person apartment I store 3 of them at my fathers house but 3 of the ones used in the city I store like this:

Just use a few hooks and it works perfect. Previously it was a closet but we have more storage space for clothes than we need (Thank god my GF is sane about it).

Last edited:

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
How's that DH Rip down the mountains?!
So far so good. I need to do a small amount on tuning on the Dhx2 a bit but feel very good overall so far. I will say I do not like the HR2 tires at all. I want my minions back!

I will probably post up a little review when I get a bit more time on her.

-Brett