mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I bought an industrial strength free standing garment rack, fashioned some sliding hooks, and can get 5 or 6 bikes on there vertically without putting any holes in the wall. Works great, one of those DIY projects that came out better than I hoped.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
mr_dove said:
I'm looking for a wall mounted bike storage device. The kind with metal hooks that go through the wheel.

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17438&item=30-3771&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

I actually bought one but its the most gawdawful piece of crap I've ever touched. Its SO, SO badly built. I'm on the 3rd one and they just keep breaking during installation.

Any other options for me?
Huh. I have the double version of that and it holds my Blur and roadie fine. Not stud attached, just used sprung nuts behind the drywall (they came with it). Maybe your bike is heavier...

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
Barbaton,

The double is actually what I picked up as well. Could not find a picture of it on the Performance site though.

The problem I'm having is that the two rails (the flatish part that the tire rests on) won't slide on properly. They require a bit of pounding with a hammer to get them on and the spring nuts that go behind the sheet rock break every time I try to slide it on.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
mr_dove said:
Barbaton,

The double is actually what I picked up as well. Could not find a picture of it on the Performance site though.

The problem I'm having is that the two rails (the flatish part that the tire rests on) won't slide on properly. They require a bit of pounding with a hammer to get them on and the spring nuts that go behind the sheet rock break every time I try to slide it on.
Aah. I had that problem too at first. I realized that the hooks were coming up a bit too soon for the open hole on the tray to slide it on. It's fine once the tray is on. Torqueing the hook towards the wall (not so hard that you bend it) while putting the trays on fixed it, and they haven't come off again.

Oh, and I secured the whole thing to the drywall before putting the trays on. Not sure if that makes a difference but the nuts were already set.