Quantcast

Bike Storage

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
I need to redo my bike storage. This is what I currently have. Its about 8 ft wide and 4 1/2 feet deep. It holds 9 bikes, but I have another kids bike that doesn't fit in it.

IMG_7342.jpg

I am moving the bikes to where this workbench/cabinet is. The area is 8 feet wide, but I really would like the bikes to only take 5 or 6 feet of it. From the wall to the garage door track is about 33 inches.

IMG_7343.jpg

In this new location I have the advantage of being able to go higher than the garage door, so I am thinking of maybe staggering the height of the bikes to get them close together. Ideally, I would have 10 bikes in 5 feet, but I know thats asking a lot.

Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Jumping in on this thread because I'm looking to do something similar as well.

PS. nice to know my garage is at a similar level of tidyness to yours. :)

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Funny, because that’s my buddies carbon fatbike. Frame broke in less than a month... He got a replacement rear triangle, but hasn’t been able to put it on yet...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
take the @stoney approach and buy a bigger house
Ironically I have less bike space now because the garage is shallower, narrower, and shorter. I have to store the cheaper bikes out in the backyard shed.

@Blown240 I have bikes flat against the wall behind the garage door rails. I pull the front wheel off and hang it elsewhere in the garage. In the length of the garage rail I have 5 bikes slightly overlaying each other with a bungee on each one hooked into eye-bolt(whatever they are called) keeping the bars flat to the wall. That's a really narrow space for me though and I have some storage hanging above the cars I put long hooks (the kind for ladders) into I hang the front wheel off. That allows me to keep the expensive and high use bikes readily available. The cheap kid bikes are all stored in a locked backyard shed.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think the biggest problem with storing lots of bikes is that most people use fixed hooks, usually spaced further apart that they really need to be.

Years ago I rigged up a rail system with sliding hooks, which allowed me to tuck the bikes in much closer to each other. Could be a pain to get to a particular bike if it's squished in deep, but definitely got more bikes into the space. And it's particularly good if some of the bikes don't get used that much.

My set up was pretty rudimentary with a steel pipe and some hand-modified hanging hooks, but it worked great. At the time I couldn't find anyone making one, but now I look and see this, which could be great for you:

1570208460971.png