Quantcast

Bike To Work Day

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
I'm torn. Though national "Bike To Work Day" garners a little media attention to let people know some cyclists are on the roadways, I still find it contrived. When I lived in Colorado, I biked to work almost every day. My employer never made any to-do out of my everyday riding, despite my obvious dedication to lessening traffic in that fair city, as well as staying more physically fit. Yet on national "Bike To Work Day" they fed and rewarded all of the once a year bunch with various prizes and other forms of recognition. Am I missing something here?

On my way to work behind the infamous Orange Curtain on this year's national "Bike To Work Day", I saw one other cyclist who was commuting. It was a day laborer who came very close to becoming a hood ornament on a very large SUV who was failing to yield in an intersection. The moronic SUV driver leaned on the horn before flooring it out of the intersection when the day laborer was clear. When this fellow commuter passed by me as I waited for the signal to change, I nodded towards the departing SUV tool and muttered, "pendejos." The guy on the bike just about crashed because he was laughing so hard. Yup, only one other bicycle commuter on national "Bike To Work Day".

Friggin' sad.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I biked at work. My boss saved me a couple of gems to work on and as a good mechanic I took them all on a longer then usual test ride :) I love my job.....

splat

Nam I am
I didn't ride to work today , Because I Took the day off. but if I had gone , today would have been a great day to do it. there was a Massive traffic problem due to an accident on the Mass pike.

I have never worried about it, my Employers have never made any thing about it. and I ride to work so often by bike. If I ride that day ,good , If i don't then so be it . as you said it feels "contrived"

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
the only people who even ride bikes in my area it seems are societal flotsam.

that said, i ride to work everyday (it's not that far, but that was a conscious choice). somedays i want to wear a shirt that says:

no, i didnt loose my license to DUI
no, i am not a recovering alcoholic
no, i am not homeless
no, really, i pay taxes too...probably more than you!

the fat fauckers in their ICE coffins around here look at you like your from mars if you're on a bike.

hmm. i didnt realize i had quite that much anger.

what was the OP's point again? bike to work day? hahaha. haha. dream on.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
chuffer said:
the only people who even ride bikes in my area it seems are societal flotsam.

that said, i ride to work everyday (it's not that far, but that was a conscious choice). somedays i want to wear a shirt that says:

no, i didnt loose my license to DUI
no, i am not a recovering alcoholic
no, i am not homeless
no, really, i pay taxes too...probably more than you!

the fat fauckers in their ICE coffins around here look at you like your from mars if you're on a bike.

hmm. i didnt realize i had quite that much anger.

what was the OP's point again? bike to work day? hahaha. haha. dream on.
Tends to be the norm in the 'burbs around here. The city not so much.

I ride to work everyday. Meh.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
chuffer said:
yeah you're right it is the norm. i should just accept it. :dead:
It was really annoying riding my bike in the suburbs when I lived there. Assholes think you're a lower form of life because you're riding a bike.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
I was riding to school yesterday and this lady in her ford explorer tried to turn right and caused me to collide into the side of her car. Didn't knock me alll the way over but I bounced off and had to jump up two curbs, on my fixed gear. I was pretty pissed and yellled for her to watch the f*** out.
Luckily both my bike and I are okay.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
blue said:
It was really annoying riding my bike in the suburbs when I lived there. Assholes think you're a lower form of life because you're riding a bike.
It's a given that you in particular are indeed a lower form of life but how could you possibly know that people thought that of you?

How do you manage to stumble your way through life with such an enormous persecution complex?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bike to work an average of 2 days a week. On the days I don't bike, I ride the bus.

Out of the 30ish employees, 10 of us bike at least 2 days a week. Nobody makes a deal of it. But I've had it a lot worse.

One company that I worked for had a bike rack that you couldn't see from inside the office. It fit 4 bikes at the most and they wouldn't build a new rack or add a second one. They held an anual bike to work day and would rent tents and large bike racks to fit all the "once a year" riders. I found it funny that there were people who lived less than a mile from the office and still drove. I live 3 miles away and couldn't consider driving even in the worst weather.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
justsomeguy said:
It's a given that you in particular are indeed a lower form of life but how could you possibly know that people thought that of you?

How do you manage to stumble your way through life with such an enormous persecution complex?
Awww, keep trying to clutch to youth, buddy.

Shouldn't you be circlejerking it up with Mr. Ghey somewhere?

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
elRey said:
I was riding to school yesterday and this lady in her ford explorer tried to turn right and caused me to collide into the side of her car.
Funny, but normally I don't have super close calls, but on my way home from Bike To Work Day, some fool did the quick right turn in front of me. If my cruiser didn't have good brakes, that soccer mom van would have gotten dented. I was too tired from working all night to pull into the gas station andbeat the crap out of this moron, so I just pedaled on. About 1/4 mile later some PNB in a sedan who wanted to make a right turn through me decided to tell me that I didn't belong in the roadway. I showed her what her IQ was with my middle digit. Yeah, we obviously got some great media coverage here too...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
MisterClean said:
Funny, but normally I don't have super close calls, but on my way home from Bike To Work Day, some fool did the quick right turn in front of me. If my cruiser didn't have good brakes, that soccer mom van would have gotten dented. I was too tired from working all night to pull into the gas station andbeat the crap out of this moron, so I just pedaled on. About 1/4 mile later some PNB in a sedan who wanted to make a right turn through me decided to tell me that I didn't belong in the roadway. I showed her what her IQ was with my middle digit. Yeah, we obviously got some great media coverage here too...
This is partly why I enjoy commuting on my DH bike from time to time...nice biiig dents. :oink:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I rode daily to work (approx 15 miles) until I was hit by a car while riding in the bike lane. I drive now.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I didn't notice any more or less bike traffic than usual on my commute.

Then again, I'm only going a bit less than four miles one way. Bike commuting is an everyday thing for me, and my workplace doesn't really give a rats ass how I get there. Cest la vie.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
MisterClean said:
Said the anonymous entity from halfway across the globe.

BTW, your "flame" is about 1 BTU and would have doubled if you had quoted me.

Fixed..... But your comeback was rather lame. :nopity: :nopity:
It wasn't meant (my post) so much as a flame (tempting target tho....) as more of a light hearted joke. But hey take it however you want, not my problem.

Oh and rather less anonymous than you.... I use part of my real name for my online handle and have my website in the sig.
How about you?....Thought not.:clue: