Quantcast

Bike Transit case

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
does anyone know of or use a particular case to transport a bike??? i am just looking for suggestions, i am going to Cali , in a few weeks and I am going to have to bring my bike./I am looking for a reliable case to bring it there!!! Thanks in advance

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
does anyone know of or use a particular case to transport a bike??? i am just looking for suggestions, i am going to Cali , in a few weeks and I am going to have to bring my bike./I am looking for a reliable case to bring it there!!! Thanks in advance
Search Function, KNOW IT, USE IT, LIVE BY IT.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The cardboard boxes that Cannondales come in are the best. Especially if you use the packing materials that come with it. I used to duct tape the entire box except for the top but have since changed that to only duct tape the seams and the bottom. They easily last an out and back trip. Its under the UPS dimension max. Its lighter and smaller than a hardcase which may give you some negotiating room with an airline.

The only trick is to know how to pack it so it fits in the box correctly.

The best thing is that it is way cheaper than one of those hard cases.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I used a Cannondale box once to take my bike to Bootleg Canyon, I reinforced the inside with plastic and taped the hell out of the outside. It still got totally pwn3d by the airline luggage apes. Since then I bought a Trico Ironcase which works as advertised.

You probably don't need to buy one though, most shops have one that they rent out for $25 a week or somthing like that.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
DRB said:
The cardboard boxes that Cannondales come in are the best. Especially if you use the packing materials that come with it. I used to duct tape the entire box except for the top but have since changed that to only duct tape the seams and the bottom. They easily last an out and back trip. Its under the UPS dimension max. Its lighter and smaller than a hardcase which may give you some negotiating room with an airline.

I have the performancebike one very nice no problems like douglas some fit issues due to size of frame but worked it out.
I have a buddy that ships his bike in the cannondale box and has had no problems at all and he travels a lot.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
DRB said:

That's what I used and had no problems (Japan to Germany return via Hong Kong plus aJapanese domestic- no probs at all). The knowing how to pack it trick is vital as you said though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've shipped my bike via cardboard boxes at least a dozen times w/ no issues. although i haven't removed my bike from last night's journey to check for damage yet.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We have a Serfas case and it worked well. I have also used a Trico and had no problems with either...just $$$ for the case on the plane ($80 each way :( ) Echo's right...lots of shops rent them out by the week (or month if you know them well).

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Chalk up another vote for the Cannondale box. I've used them for years and they're fine,... plus they're free. We usually get a few from the shop, take the plane ride with them, ditch them at the airport, and then hit a C-dale dealer on the way back to the airport. Works every time.

I've used the Trico case, and it works very well. Might be worth the investment if you travel lots, ie many times a year, and have a place to store it. I like the way the C-dale boxes allow for packing a bike. Everything ziptied in place.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Crate Works PRO XL-C. Straddles the word between cardboard box and hard case. Folds flat for transport/storage but take abuse. Way lighter than a full-on hardcase so shipping it is cheaper. Been using one for years.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
riderx said:
Crate Works PRO XL-C. Straddles the word between cardboard box and hard case. Folds flat for transport/storage but take abuse. Way lighter than a full-on hardcase so shipping it is cheaper. Been using one for years.
Nice solution. The PRO XL-C looks like a nice compromise between the world of hardcases and disposable boxes. Great for storage as well. :thumb:

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
I've shipped my downhill bikes numerous times across the country in a Trico Iron Case.
It's held up pretty well from the gorillas at Fed Ex.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
peter6061 said:
Nice solution. The PRO XL-C looks like a nice compromise between the world of hardcases and disposable boxes. Great for storage as well. :thumb:
Another cool thing is you can order replacement parts. If a piece gets trashed you don't need a whole new box. I've lost count of how many times mine has been shipped though and I haven't replaced anything yet.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
thanks everyone.. I spoke to my LBS and she is going to lend me her case for the 2 weeks.... She is telling me to ship it in advance, which i think I am going to do... I am just waiting for an email from JetBlue to see how much or if they charge extra for it!!