Quantcast

Bike VS Bus

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/01/BAGG7HGG3R1.DTL

A Golden Gate Transit bus driver who allegedly ran a bicyclist off the road last month has been charged in Marin County Superior Court with assault with a deadly weapon, vandalism and reckless driving.

A complaint was filed Monday against James Pease, 60, of San Anselmo for allegedly bumping Christopher Mosher off his bicycle Feb. 15 as he pedaled south on Magnolia Avenue in Corte Madera. Pease then ran over Mosher's $5,000 bicycle, according to Twin Cities police.

Witnesses told police that they believed Pease had intentionally run the bicyclist off the road, apparently after Mosher rapped on a bus window to alert the driver that he was driving dangerously close.

Mosher, 36, of Corte Madera suffered cuts, scrapes and bruises, but his injuries did not require hospitalization, investigators said.

Pease resigned Friday as a bus driver, said Mary Currie, the district's spokeswoman.

More Coverage:

A Golden Gate Transit driver is facing potential prison time on charges he intentionally ran a bicyclist off the road in Larkspur, injuring the cyclist and crunching the $5,000 bike under the bus tires.
James Pease, 60, of San Anselmo was charged Monday with assault with a deadly weapon, vandalism and reckless driving causing bodily injury, said Deputy District Attorney Linda Witong. The assault and vandalism charges are felonies, and Pease could receive up to four years in prison if convicted, Witong said.

Pease, who has not been arrested, is scheduled to appear in Marin Superior Court on March 15.

"I have no comment," Pease said when reached by telephone Monday might.

The bicyclist, Christopher Mosher of Corte Madera, said he was surprised to have survived the episode.

"I thought I was going to die when I saw that rear tire up on my bike," said Mosher, 36, a general contractor. "I can't believe I didn't die."

The incident occurred around 9:50 a.m. Feb. 5, a Sunday, along southbound Magnolia Avenue in Larkspur. Mosher and numerous witnesses told police the bus driver nearly squeezed Mosher off the road several times from Bon Air Road to Ward Street, where he took a turn and knocked the bicycle over.

"The bus was keeping pace with the bike and attempting to crowd him into the cars," said Twin Cities police Sgt. Steven Fogle. "He actually slowed down and waited for the bicyclist so he could crowd him off the road."

When the bus took the turn at Ward Street, it cut the bicycle off and struck it, sending Mosher to the ground and grinding the Trek bicycle under the bus tires, Fogle said. Several witnesses called 911, and Pease stayed at the scene with the bus.

"When we approached the Left Bank (restaurant), over pulls the bus and knocked that guy to the ground," said witness Jennifer Benane of Fairfax, who was driving behind the bus. "He started yelling at the guy, 'You hit my bus!' And then he stood there indignant and angry at the guy who just got run down."

Authorities are investigating what prompted the incident. Mosher said he did nothing to provoke the driver, but he did rap on the bus' windows when it initially veered too close to him.

"I can't understand what was going on in his head," Mosher said.

Mary Currie, a spokeswoman for the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District, said the district is investigating the incident and that Pease is not currently driving.

But citing employee confidentiality rules, Currie declined to say whether Pease has been suspended, whether he could face termination, how long he has worked for the agency, and whether he has had other complaints lodged against him.

"He's not behind the wheel and the disciplinary review process is under way," she said.

Mosher suffered arm and leg scrapes and road rash in the collision, but he declined a trip to the hospital at the scene.

He said he is not ruling out a lawsuit.

"I'm not sure where it's going to go at this point," he said. "I would hope at the very least that the driver isn't on the road driving buses."

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I drive to a park & ride, ride the bus into the city, and bike the remaining 2 miles into work.

I luv it all....especially when I don't have to drive in rush hour (more like rush "8" hour) :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I understand they serve an important function in our infrastructure, but I hate them. Hate hate hate!!!

Mostly, my ride up Mission to my house, there are a couple of stops where 3 or 4 buses stop and go, forcing me to ride around them the entire 5 uphill blocks.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
This is why bikes shouldnt be allowed on the road. If some bike "rapped" on my window, Id probably "rap" on his bike with my car.

Bus wins.