Quantcast

Bike Weights

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
I don't get the whole 'Let's shave that last bit off my road bike' thing.

Face it if you've built your roadie using the usual suspects and spent wisely on good gear.

You get.

Grouppo - DA, Record (Gee even ultegra or chorus)
Bars - prima 199's, Milleniums etc
Seatpost - thomson (duh)
gratuitous 200g ti rail saddle
Wheels - ksyrium, shimano upper end, Hugis on open pros

Onto most any frame out there you end up with a 7kg (14.5lb) bike no sweat. Which when you face it is substantially light and still durable.

So why, is there a need to shave the next couple of grams off. Its not like you'll really gain anything but w@nk factor.

Sure you can go full ti cassettes, carbon cranks, carbon brakes et al but really is there that much performance to be had. It's not like you're going form a MTB with 1 inch slicks to a roadie and losing 5lbs, and most of us come nowhere near pro level.

I guess it is all the cost per weight gain thing too. Is 2 ounces worth 200 bucks?

And just for the record my Klein Quantum weighs 7.2kg.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I agree completely. You can easily build a bike that's too light for sanctioned racing. The only time weight's a factor is when I'm carrying my bike up stairs after a long ride :D

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
What size is your Klein that you're getting it under 15#s? My 58 De Rosa Merak (circa 2002) w/ Mizumo carbon fork (about 2.8 for frame alone - max rider weight is 195#s), Ksyrium SSLs, DA group, and carbon cockpit/cranks is coming in at 17.5#s, and that's w/ Eggbeaters and 23 Miches.

Edit: the Stong custom steel frame (56 seat tube/57.5 tt) is coming in at 18.5#s w/ about the same build kit (DA/Open Pro wheels).

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
01 Klein Quantum 54cm
Klein carbon fork
King Headset
9sp DA
Hugi 240's on Open Pros with triple butted DT's and pro lock alloy nips
Michelin ProRace 23's
Conti supersonic tubes
Prima 199 bar
Ritchey WCS stem
Thomson seat post
Serfas Aria Ti Saddle
DA SPD-SL pedals
Elite Ti cages
My only w@nk factor weight shaving SRP Ti bolt on skewers (only cause they're ti and I just don't trust QR's to clamp properly)

Total 7.2kg => 15.84 lbs

Well its closer to 16 but infront of the decimal point says 15.

Is there a weight limit on Kleins? I dont thing I'd come anywhere near it but just for interest sake?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Could it be the frame size than? My build is either the same or slightly lighter in the parts dept. The frame is basically either a 6061 or 6001 that's been treated by Dedacciai for them to call it a V107 what-the-hell-ever. It's damn light tho! On a not-too-accurate scale hung from the ceiling, it just tipped 17.5#s. Oh well. She rides beautifully for my weight and style. It's funny, but this frame rides VERY close to my Strong steel (Foco tubes)...no harshness at all. It is a bit noisier tho when debris gets sent into the downtube from the tire.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
JoeRay said:
I don't get the whole 'Let's shave that last bit off my road bike' thing.

Face it if you've built your roadie using the usual suspects and spent wisely on good gear.

You get.

Grouppo - DA, Record (Gee even ultegra or chorus)
Bars - prima 199's, Milleniums etc
Seatpost - thomson (duh)
gratuitous 200g ti rail saddle
Wheels - ksyrium, shimano upper end, Hugis on open pros

Onto most any frame out there you end up with a 7kg (14.5lb) bike no sweat. Which when you face it is substantially light and still durable.

So why, is there a need to shave the next couple of grams off. Its not like you'll really gain anything but w@nk factor.

Sure you can go full ti cassettes, carbon cranks, carbon brakes et al but really is there that much performance to be had. It's not like you're going form a MTB with 1 inch slicks to a roadie and losing 5lbs, and most of us come nowhere near pro level.

I guess it is all the cost per weight gain thing too. Is 2 ounces worth 200 bucks?

And just for the record my Klein Quantum weighs 7.2kg.
Um, you are going to be pushing the weight category to get a bike under 15 lbs without spending some serious cash. 14.5 would be stupid light, I've seen some very expensive bikes in my shop and only one dropped below 15lbs. And yes that guy was near pro. Not too mention the parts you mentioned will run you a good bit of cash.

I find the challenge in building up the lightest bike for the least cash.

Currently I'm riding a steel frame that I got under 19 lbs for under $900 bucks. Full DA, Ritchey WCS parts, nice light tires, Fizik saddle, king, and etc. It could be lighter, but my budget only allowed so much money being spent.

The Ito

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Frame size and style.

I know that a Klein Aura (comapct frame) of the same size with almost everything like mine except for 10spd DA makes 7kg flat. There's your 14.5 lb bike. I wouldn't say its had heaps of cashola dumped into it, beyond what you'd normally pay for a DA spec bike.

I'm wary of the 700g t frame thing, but really a for a normal off the shelf production frame., you can still get silly light without dumping a truck of cash at the register.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
JoeRay said:
Frame size and style.

I know that a Klein Aura (comapct frame) of the same size with almost everything like mine except for 10spd DA makes 7kg flat. There's your 14.5 lb bike. I wouldn't say its had heaps of cashola dumped into it, beyond what you'd normally pay for a DA spec bike.

I'm wary of the 700g t frame thing, but really a for a normal off the shelf production frame., you can still get silly light without dumping a truck of cash at the register.
its official ray

YOU VE FARKIN LOST IT :)