Quantcast

Bikecomponents.de questions

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Anyone in the US use them before? I changed my country to the US, but the prices (I assume from their symbol) is still in Euros? Or do they convert it, but not the symbol? I assume it's priced as the Euro, but thought it was worth asking cause I know CRC changes it to USD for us. Also, How long does the shipping generally take? Thanks

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i tried once. they fucked up the address formatting which caused the items to not be delivered and returned to them, which in turn caused me to have to contact them to try to get it fixed. they did and offered nothing so i had to issue a charge back through my CC.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I used them a few years ago. Some of their prices are unbeatable. Tires, certain components are too. Unfortunately some things they will not sell to the US. There should be a drop down option to change to us currency. Shipping was reasonably fast. Probably 2 weeks.
Had good experience with them.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have used a couple of times.
Would bang again.

I usually fine that bike24 and bike-discount are also worth checking against, have used all with no problems to Canukistan.

The issue with not selling to the US is the same that I have with US retailers not selling to Canada. It is because of Manufacturers rules. They don't like to see their middle-men (distributors) screwed out of their huge margins for doing nothing. They tell you it is to do with warranty, but see the screwing above for details.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have used a couple of times.
Would bang again.

I usually fine that bike24 and bike-discount are also worth checking against, have used all with no problems to Canukistan.

The issue with not selling to the US is the same that I have with US retailers not selling to Canada. It is because of Manufacturers rules. They don't like to see their middle-men (distributors) screwed out of their huge margins for doing nothing. They tell you it is to do with warranty, but see the screwing above for details.
This is the reason CRC no longer sells SRAM products to the US.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
This is the reason CRC no longer sells SRAM products to the US.
None of the bigger online stores shift SRAM gear to OS destinations anymore. SRAM had a big crackdown a little while ago on people not willing to top up the troughs of the local importers/distributors etc.

So unless you use a freight forwarder or have friends willing to assist you go back to paying more than double for local SRAM products (here in Australia at least).

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Anyone in the US use them before? I changed my country to the US, but the prices (I assume from their symbol) is still in Euros? Or do they convert it, but not the symbol? I assume it's priced as the Euro, but thought it was worth asking cause I know CRC changes it to USD for us. Also, How long does the shipping generally take? Thanks
why would they do that? it's a german company. our currency is the Euro, not the Dollar. or can you name one american retailer that offers their goods in Euro?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
why would they do that? it's a german company. our currency is the Euro, not the Dollar. or can you name one american retailer that offers their goods in Euro?
Having an international customer base and like... wanting to earn money from it is a pretty damn good reason to do that. I can't be bothered to look through the US online shops, but Jenson is one the biggest and offers that option for tons of currencies.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Why wouldn't they do that? If they're on the "world wide" web, and willing to ship to the US, then it would make sense. Every time I go onto CRC it's listed in US dollars. I can then compare prices without having to open XE every single time I go on their website. I'll stick with CRC and Jenson.

Besides, it asks what country you're from. If it can change to English, why not convert the currency

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
most european shops (besides wiggel/crc) usually cater to the european market first as its easier to ship and one big economy. shipping abroad is expensive if you dont have the numbers wiggle/crc has, hence the high shipping costs you need to pay compaired to zero with wiggle/crc. also you dont have the problems with changing exhange rates as you always get the same amount of euros if you in the usa are forced to pay in euros instead of dollars.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
One thing that does change when you select your country is Tax status.
If you select a country in the EU, then the price shown will be inclusive of VAT.
If you select a country outside of the EU, then the price shown will be exclusive of VAT.
VAT in Germany is 19%.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I have had a number of positive purchases from them. Unbeatable prices on some items. I have been able to select usa on their page and received the page in both english and usd$.
In ca generally a couple weeks to arrive.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
say some shoes cost 100eur. on the day you buy them that would amount to 120$. you pay the 120$. it takes some day for your bank to send the 120$ to the german bank account of bike components. if the exchange rate changes in that time they maybe only get 97eur in the end. they lose 3eur. but if you buy it for 100eur from them and tell your bank to send the german bank of bike components 100eur they will get 100eur. no losses for them, but for you, because your bank invoices you now the difference.

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I'm using these folks regularly for order to the UAE. It works flawlessly, had like 10 orders already. Some items are very well priced. No issues with deliveries or payments so far.