Quantcast

Bikeforums.net first to break Kryptonite lock fiasco story.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Seems Bikeforums.net was the site that posted the first threads and videos that ended up catching the attention of the national media. Well done to those guys at Bikeforums :)

http://www.bikeforums.net

And for those that haven't heard - <b>All it takes to open many Kryptonite locks is a ball point pen!</b> If you have a Kryptonite lock, be sure to go to the Kryptonite Web site at www.kryptonitelock.com and see if you qualify for a replacement.

Ridemonkey threads related to Kryptonite locks:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/search.php?searchid=112989

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Keep in mind it isn't just kryptonite. There are users also having issues with master lock. Esentially any circular lock DEVICE (vending machines) can be broken into. Luckily some dont work as the cylinder is to big for a bic pen.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Given the nature of the problem, I was a bit pissed of at how long it took to come up with specific informaiton. I wonder how many new locks were sold/returned in the meantime by panicked riders. I feel bad for all the folks who needlessly bought new locks, and for the sales people who will now have to deal with the returns. Oh well. Here's what counts.

Straight from the horses mouth:

KRYPTONITE OFFERING FREE UPGRADE WORLDWIDE FOR CONSUMERS’ HIGH END TUBULAR CYLINDER LOCKS

Unprecedented Offer Intended to Address the Needs of Loyal Consumers

Canton, MA September 17, 2004 - Kryptonite today announced it will provide free product upgrades for certain locks purchased since September 2002, in response to consumer concerns about tubular cylinder lock technology. Consumers can visit the company’s Website (www.kryptonitelock.com) on Wednesday afternoon, September 22, 2004, to learn how they can participate in the security upgrade program.

Consumers who have purchased an Evolution lock, KryptoLok lock, New York Chain, New York Noose, Evolution Disc Lock, KryptoDisco or DFS Disc Lock in the last two years are eligible for a product upgrade free of charge from Kryptonite. Customers will need to have either registered their key number, registered for the Kryptonite anti-theft protection offer or have proof of purchase to qualify.

Specifically, Kryptonite will provide for free cross bars featuring the company’s new disc-style cylinder lock technology to consumers who have purchased Evolution and KryptoLok series products. In addition the company will replace for free recently purchased Evolution Disc Locks on New York Chain and New York Noose with its “Molly Lock”, a heavy duty solid steel padlock. Kryptonite also will upgrade recently purchased disc locks.

Consumers who have had one of the Kryptonite locks mentioned with a tubular cylinder for longer than two years will be eligible for a sizeable rebate on the upgraded products. This program will be administered through Kryptonite dealers and distributors.

A distributor and dealer swap program will be rolled out through direct communication from Kryptonite to all its partners.

Full details about this unprecedented program will be available on Kryptonite’s website by afternoon Eastern Standard Time, Wednesday, September 22, 2004, at www.kryptonite.com

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
thank god i bought a key'ed lock and not one of these. I knew it was a matter of time until someone figured out how to pick these.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
watched the video, incredible. you'd think that with so many people in the company, somebody would think of how this lock could be broken into. somebody got fired for this one. glad i have a lock with a car-key style key.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Looks like it isn't going to help me. I don't keep receipts for stuff like that, and I never bothered to register. Hooray.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i received my replacement kryptonite lock in the mail today. :thumb: sent them my beat up, twice hacksawed (not completely through, obviously, since i still had it), circular key evolution 2000 and received a brand spanking new evolution with flat key in return. kryptonite even prepaid for the shipping of the old lock, so it was all free. it's going to be expensive for them, but they have fully redeemed themselves in my eyes.