Quantcast

Bikes & Cars

Google news lets you set up customized sections; I have one for Kilauea, one for FAA and one for bicycle.

The number of articles which show up each day discussing injuries and fatalities as a result of car-bike accidents makes me feel queasy. It's a rough world out there.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Google news lets you set up customized sections; I have one for Kilauea, one for FAA and one for bicycle.

The number of articles which show up each day discussing injuries and fatalities as a result of car-bike accidents makes me feel queasy. It's a rough world out there.
But I think the stats show that you're more likely to die in a car-car accident vs car-bike accident.

My wife recently admitted that she doesn't like me commuting, but understands that I minimize risks and it's just as safe, if not safer.

Yeah, I don't worry when I'm riding. The articles bother me, though. Not all of them are the fault of the motor vehicle operator - kids dart out into streets, lunkheads run stop signs and t-bone cars.

But you're right, the cars and trucks play demo derby all the time and I barely notice it.

CritEastwood

Chimp
Jan 11, 2008
Apartment
The number of articles which show up each day discussing injuries and fatalities as a result of car-bike accidents makes me feel queasy.
Just think about how many are not reported on? A friend of mine and I were run down by a hit & run driver September 29th. He spent three days in ICU and five more in the hospital and I got an ambulance ride for some thread and to get checked out. No media coverage whatsoever. That sucks even more because the next day the police caught the perpetrator driving the Honda Civic that was missing the passenger side mirror that was torn off by my leg as I was getting launched forty five feet through the air. People need to be informed especially when a criminal who feloniously assaults cyclists in that manner is caught.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn

:shocked: I suggest you take it off... the more you read about it the more you willthink about it the less you will ride.. Possibly
Stay Safe!!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I miss riding my road bike in traffic. Well I just plain miss my road bike.. But I digress. I thrive on riding in traffic. Just love it. I may sound foolish but I love the open road. In town or the countryside. Its all good.

I don't know what a DER is.

When I was in the industry, I used to read AW&ST, but I'm too cheap to pay for a subscription. The FAA search gives me a few pointers to accident analyses and way too many stories about how Reagan's pet controllers try to cause accidents.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Designated Engineering Representative (DER)
A DER is an individual, appointed in accordance with 14 CFR § 183.29, who holds an engineering degree or equivalent, possesses technical knowledge and experience, and meets the qualification requirements of Order 8100.8.

A DER may be appointed to act as a Company DER and/or Consultant DER.
Company DERs can act as DER for their employer and may only approve, or recommend approval, of technical data to the FAA for the company.
Consultant DERs are individuals appointed to act as an independent (self-employed) DER to approve or recommend approval of technical data to the FAA.