Quantcast

Bikes vs development and we won!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
There's great news for anyone who has ridden in the Stewart Buffer zone near Newburg, NY, as a 5-year lawsuit over development was finally settled. The 7,000 acres of state land near Stewart Airport have some kickass singletrack (as many of you have seen through the lenses of Splat, Rob, Stosh and me).

The buffer zone was under pressure from developers, mainly for the expansion of the airport (which was hurting economically). Ecologists, residents and lots of mountain bikers fought to protect the land. After the lawsuit dragged out, the fate of the land was finally decided. 400 acres will be used for development and a $50 million road will run along the edge of the buffer zone directly into the airport. But the heart of Stewart will remain untouched and open for multi-use for years to come.

This is a great victory for us, but also a giant step for the challenges we all face to keep the trails we ride on.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
My political stance when I ran and still is that development of open space is a bad thing. Progress is good, yes, but pristine open space such as SBZ that afford rec opportunities for people of all hobbies, as well as wildlife preserves, should be protected from all development.

Goddamn asshat developers and their "we don't care about open space" agendas...at least there are still 6600 acres left. But how long will that last until someone else challenges it looking to make a buck?

robdamanii said:
My political stance when I ran and still is that development of open space is a bad thing. Progress is good, yes, but pristine open space such as SBZ that afford rec opportunities for people of all hobbies, as well as wildlife preserves, should be protected from all development.

Goddamn asshat developers and their "we don't care about open space" agendas...at least there are still 6600 acres left. But how long will that last until someone else challenges it looking to make a buck?
What did you run for, the nearest exit? Did you find it?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Coolness! We've had plenty of good trails get swallowed up by development on this side of the world as well. It's great to hear a success story..:)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I used to ride street at Heathrow airport in London at 1am, it was a lot of fun. Still glad to hear your trails are safe!

splat

Nam I am
Just one piece of advice and something to to watch out for. we went though a similar situation , of fighting to keep land/trails away from developers and we were succesfull and got it all put under a conservation easement , Then the conservation people decided to try to get bikes banned from the same land. now suddenly the people who came to us for help ( mutally ), became our enemy!

they did not get there way. but it is still a very sensitive issue.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
splat said:
Just one piece of advice and something to to watch out for. we went though a similar situation , of fighting to keep land/trails away from developers and we were succesfull and got it all put under a conservation easement , Then the conservation people decided to try to get bikes banned from the same land. now suddenly the people who came to us for help ( mutally ), became our enemy!

they did not get there way. but it is still a very sensitive issue.
How many holes in the woods did you have to dig?:p :dancing:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The Stewart Buffer Zone is used by Hunters, dog trainers, horse back riders, hiking, mtn bikers and so on. It's used by all different people not just bikers which I think is part of the reason there has been such a large goup of people fighting against development which is a good thing.
As far as hot property goes it's right at the intersection of NYS Thruway and highway 84 so it's about as HOT as HOT properties go.