Quantcast

Bikes You Wish You Still Had:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I just eBayed my Hutch Trick Star that I bought in '86. I don't really miss it though. I kinda wish I still had my Hutch Pro Racer though.

I have no found memories of my prior MTBs. The current ride is so much better than all of them.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jdcamb said:
My old Bridgestone MB-1 I loved that bike.
that was a smokin bike back in it's day.

i wish i had my old late 80's white yeti fro.
with the real yeti rigid fork. (not the answer one)
and the f.t.w. stem.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I regeret selling almost all my bikes but the ones I miss the most are...

82 Torker BMX Pro Model. My first real BMX bike. I rode that sucker into high school until I sold it for money to take chicks out. I should have known better... bikes last longer and are more faithful than chicks.

85 Schwinn cruiser. Eventually stolen. :(

94-ish GT - It was a steel frame, but not one of the cheapy ones. I forget the name but that bike was one of the best feeling bikes I ever rode. I put more miles on that frame than any other frame I have owned since. I later tried to recapture that feeling by buying a Zaskar. Ack! Worst frame I ever purchased. Dang thing just about made me quit mountain biking I hated riding it so much. Like Burley Shirley I am now on the hunt for an awsome steel XC bike again.

02 DH9 - A size medium it was too big for me, but now that I want one again and can't find one I'll take the medium.
Echo said:
Seems like most people are going after some old school classic steel hardtail. That's cool. But the bike I miss most often is my Blur.
I wonder if that's because, 1) Steel does give an awsome ride, and 2) we miss those early days of MTBing... days when there were no land access issues, when you were lucky to see another person on your favorite trail, and you had to explain to people what that contraption you're riding was. I miss those days.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cool thread. I went through a bunch of BMX and freestyle bikes in the 80's and wish I had any one of them...kuwahara, torker, haro, gt, redline and dynos. I really wish I still had the last dyno I owned, a full pimp freestyle rig that I sold for way too little. I would probably almost never ride it but I would still like to have it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I miss my '98 Specialized FSR pro. I had all the Mountain speed updgrades (bearing kit, disc brake adapter, 6" swing link and shock) I used that thing for everything and loved it. I sold it so I could my first DH bike, which turned out to be a mistake.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I miss my Bullet. That was the only bike I spec'ed from scratch and didn't skimp. It was the perfect freeride bike. My IH is a lot like it in many ways, but that bike was perfect.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I don't know the years of these but here goes.

Early 80's Diamond Back Super Viper....Stolen
Must have been 85 Hutch Pro Racer.
Red Line RL22
Haro Master

Of all of those the only old school BMX I have left is a mongoose Decade Pro. Which I don't hold any fond memories of. The only thing good about it is that it was stolen and we chased the kid down and threw him in a new home foundation.

I also had a Trek 8000 that I wish I still had to make into a SS.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
2 Bikes:

I wish I still had my 1998 Specialized FSR Elite. Jerk broke into my camper shell...this was back in 2000 or so. It was my first "real" bike.

Second. I still wish I had my 2006 Specialized Enduro Expert. I sold to fund a trip to Norway and Sweden. No regrets at all..I mean you can't pass up an opportunity to spend a month there. Sometimes though, I wish I had sold something else for that trip. Like my body or something.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
OGRipper said:
Cool thread. I went through a bunch of BMX and freestyle bikes in the 80's and wish I had any one of them...kuwahara, torker, haro, gt, redline and dynos. I really wish I still had the last dyno I owned, a full pimp freestyle rig that I sold for way too little. I would probably almost never ride it but I would still like to have it.
Well... to buck this trend, I do still have my old BMX bike from 1982. A highly modded out Schwinn Predator (only the frame is original) with a lot of trick parts. While I cannot bare to part with it, I also cannot ride it. The top tube is way too small for me now. I replaced it with a newer BMX bike with modern geometry and it rides so much better.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Craw, that sucks about the enduro, my friend has one, and man are they nice..i also miss my gt pwoer series, i bent the bb and the headset and eveyrthing else..damn she was sexy.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I've replaced everyone of my bikes for a reason. There isn't one of them that I would ride on a regular basis over my current bike. It would be nice to have my 1990 Salsa ala carte though for a ride around bike.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My Schwinn XS Pro Stock-1 BMX bike. My parents sold the whole thing with SPIN Carbon wheels and tons of other annodized parts on the bike to match the frame for $50.

My 2005 Santa Cruz Heckler. Loved that thing.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Miss my 2001 M1 that I sold last summer. It broke two seat stays and the un-availability of the part made it impractical to keep it around. That was also my first full suspension bike. It sure would be nice to have that thing back...

Also miss my '83 GPZ550. I just found all the reg papers and everything.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
habitatxskate said:
Craw, that sucks about the enduro, my friend has one, and man are they nice..i also miss my gt pwoer series, i bent the bb and the headset and eveyrthing else..damn she was sexy.
Yeah it was an awesome bike. I only had it for like a couple months..but I can always get a bike. The chance to go travel, and having the time to do so doesn't happen very often so it all works out in the end.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I wish i still had the following 4 bikes, if only because the frames and builds were so eclectic
My 3 Nevils (road, cross and XC)- The XC bike had a Campy/Suntour mix and aruga carbon fiber Manitou 2 stanchions!
My EWR mod bike.

I wish I still had a Spooky Darkside or two kicking around for nostalgia's sake. The one I sold in '98 was rad. It had a proto White Bros fork, TNT cranks, Paul ft and rear deraileurs, and full Ringle build kit (from the Slamma Jamma headset to the anodized cages)

It was black frame/red ano parts and grey fork. Hell even the rim were red ano cr17a's with the good ceramic coating.

Between Spooky and Sinister I had a custom IF deluxe frame I still had, only because of the paint job though. I also miss the Yo Eddy I had in 2001. It was a NOS '97 and that awesome Fat red color...

I've made sure not to get rid of my '95 Rithchey road logic. In the last 11 years I've probally NOT ridden it about a 100 days...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Zark said:
I miss my '98 Specialized FSR pro. I had all the Mountain speed updgrades (bearing kit, disc brake adapter, 6" swing link and shock) I used that thing for everything and loved it. I sold it so I could my first DH bike, which turned out to be a mistake.
Reminds me of my 99 FSR Elite that cracked at a weld. :dead: Had the Mountainspeed link and disc upgrade kit as well. It was sweet.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I just yanked my Haro out of the Buy Sell listings. I feel great. Anyone ever hear of / see a cracked headtube from a Haro Escape frame?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've never wished i had any bike i used to have...i finally sold my ted because while i loved that bike and rode it a ton, the enduro was a better bike in all regards. i wish my spooky hadn't broken after 9 months of use, but what can you do? same w/ my DHi; that was a good riding bike, but there are a ton of good riding bikes, and they typically get better. no sense in riding a 10 year old bike unless you are trying to make some sort of statement.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
no sense in riding a 10 year old bike unless you are trying to make some sort of statement.
uh...or unless you just like riding it and dont feel like you need to buy a new one.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
show me a bike from '95 which is the equal of a current ride.

i'm not saying that you should get a new bike every year or two, but things do have a definite life cycle.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:

i'm not saying that you should get a new bike every year or two, but things do have a definite life cycle.
Im just saying that if you have a bike that you like that lasts and you're happy with it, why spend money?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
narlus said:

I have two from 98 that are pretty damn good.

Specialized Stumpjumper
DMR Trailstar

Basic geometry hasn't changed much since 98 and if 100mm travel works for you some of those bikes are fine.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
true. good philosophy for a car, too.

most frames/forks won't last that long though, and amenities like the ability to use disk brakes would move me away from using antiquated equipment.

our friend on the NC trip who had v brakes was the most miserable on the wet, rocky, muddy descents.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I still ride a road frame from '95 out of choice. Newer road bikes are certainly no better except in the weight department. BTW Narlus I will tease you with pictures of your new road bike later....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, road bikes are a different beast. DH bikes would be on the opposite end of that spectrum; imagine trying to ride a DH bike of '95 vintage?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are plenty of bikes that are more than ten years old that would be a kick to ride for some purposes - old cruisers, vintage BMX and MTB, etc. And lots of people love riding their old MTB's as single speeds. But for full suspension or a high performance road bike, no thanks.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
narlus said:
yeah, road bikes are a different beast. DH bikes would be on the opposite end of that spectrum; imagine trying to ride a DH bike of '95 vintage?
Certainly there have been advances, more in some areas than others. DH bikes have changed a hell of a lot since 95. And there is no doubt that the componentry has improved also.

Given a choice between a ten year old bike and a modern one there really is no contest, but there were some good hardtails back then.