Quantcast

Bikey creaks and squeeks:What's your limit?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm pretty tolerant to bike noises. i've seen people get really upset and apologetic over their brake squeel noises and what have you, and it's always struck me as odd, since i really could care less.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hate loud squeaky brakes. I just like to hear the wind, and do my best not to break it near others.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i like the sounds that bikes make. the mechanical sounds, the chain slapping, squealing brakes, creaking pivots. I like it all.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
bmx bike, I like to not make mechanical noises other then the brakes. I do mind if the brakes are so loud that it gives me a headache though. but my front brakes never squeel so I usually use them when I need to stop if my rears are in super squeek mode.

mtn. bike is such a wierd clownish bike, I don't care to much. the dumb chain makes a ton of noise which would bug the crap out of me if it was my bmx bike but I've learned to ignore it on the mountain bike.

skook you may remember when we rode Tolt, coming down the last run, my front brakes were so LOUD(!!!), it was bugging me. shut up shut up shut up! it was mainly because I had them on for the entire run of that hill, they were so loud I couldn't think strait. :D I probably woke up the entire valley that day. plus, I'm sure I was hungover...;)
when on shorter, not as steep runs, I don't mind the fronts squeeling too much.

other then the chain and brakes making noise, other things making noise aren't good. because it usually means something is about to break. (bearings are not supposed to make noises)

where the hell is the snow?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have managed to become a expert on bike noises. I hate noises that derive from lack of maintenance. I usually give folks with poorly maintained bike a ton of **** so that they are inspired to fix them. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Noises that just happen I can tune out. Noises that require money to make go away, I can tune out. Noises that indicate imminent failure, I fixate on. Noises on my bike I fix until they go away.......jdcamb

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I am pretty tolerant to a point. I had some chronic poppin in my BB area so I stripped my pedals, cranks & BB & lubed her up real good. now she is quiet as ever.
I am with biggins, I like some bike noise.

I hate leaves though. they make toooooo much noise plus bitch-ass drag.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I am completely intolerant of bike noises. I'm sure I'd be more tolerant except for the fact that I enjoy working on my bike, so I'm completely willing to spend an hour tearing everything apart to find a squeal.

I don't mind the necessary mechanical noises like the chainguide roller or freewheel mechanism. Chainslap is tolerable but even at that, I wrap my chainstay like crazy to prevent the noise.

I love the idea of those True Precision "Stealth" roller-clutch hubs that have no clicking :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pnj said:
mtn. bike is such a wierd clownish bike,
Ahahahaha i love it. :dancing:

pnj said:
skook you may remember when we rode Tolt, coming down the last run, my front brakes were so LOUD(!!!), it was bugging me. shut up shut up shut up! it was mainly because I had them on for the entire run of that hill, they were so loud I couldn't think strait. :D I probably woke up the entire valley that day. plus, I'm sure I was hungover...;)
No i don't remember haha that's my point, i really don't obsess on sounds. But your story makes me crack the hell up. :D

pnj said:
where the hell is the snow?
The only accumulation of snow in Seattle during this supposed "Winter Blast", is gonna be at the top of the King 5 towers probably haha.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
They really don't bother me, except if it's my chain making horrible sounds when I shift. Mostly because I have never cleaned it and it needs lube.

Kevin and I were riding with Mike one day and he had to stop and readjust his seat because it was squeaking so bad it drove him crazy.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
jdcamb said:
I have managed to become a expert on bike noises. I hate noises that derive from lack of maintenance. I usually give folks with poorly maintained bike a ton of **** so that they are inspired to fix them. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Noises that just happen I can tune out. Noises that require money to make go away, I can tune out. Noises that indicate imminent failure, I fixate on. Noises on my bike I fix until they go away.......jdcamb
:stupid:

i like working on my bike (for the most part), so it almost never makes noise from lack of maintenance, except when i forget to lube the chain. it really bugs me when other people don't take care of their bikes, though. i just can't understand why people neglect their multi-thousand dollar toy.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Where's Loco? He is always bitchin about his disc rubbing to the extent of getting new brakes. (hope he does so I can buy his 'squeaky' ones.)

I have almost stopped riding do to a squeak. Finally, traced it to my seat rails. Little grease and all was good.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I Are Baboon said:
My fork squeaks, my shock squeaks, and my brakes squeal. I'll worry about it when they break. :p
ahhh yet another rider who can appreciate the noises for what the truly are.... bikey luv chirps. :)

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMcG said:
My front Avid Mech squeals like a friggin Banshee and I keep adjusting it etc. but the squeel remains - drives me nuts!
Have you cleaned the rotor's with rubbing alcohol, or pulled the pads out and cleaned them with alcohol as well, followed by "scuffing" them with some emery? If the pads are >1 year old, you may have to replace them with all the mud we rode in this year.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Skookum said:
ahhh yet another rider who can appreciate the noises for what the truly are.... bikey luv chirps. :)
No, that's your bike sobbing from neglect.

Every time you neglect your bike, baby Jesus cries...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Skookum said:
i'm pretty tolerant to bike noises. i've seen people get really upset and apologetic over their brake squeel noises and what have you, and it's always struck me as odd, since i really could care less.
Ive been meaning to talk to you about your noisy bike. its so bad i cant concentrate on the minute noises coming from my own bike..... ahaha

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
You obsessive bahstid. :D

-S.S.-
I make no apologies for the fact that I'm a little bit obsessive :)

Almost as obsessive as I am about grammar, in fact... ;)

Brakes I can usually conquer, especially after switching from Magura to Hayes.

I have never managed to get the bushings on my Fox Vanilla RC to stop creaking for more than a week or so. Disassemble, clean, lube, silence. A week later, croak, croak, croak... :mumble: