Quantcast

biking and boarding in tahoe

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I'm still smiling from this weekend...
2 trips boarding and 2 biking outtings in 2 days! Yayy for me.

The bottom half of chinese downhill in south lake tahoe is now snow free. I will continue to ride it until other trails are open. For now, it makes me happy. Here is a photo of my friend Rusty hitting one of the ladder drops:

As for everywhere else around, there is so much snow. It's just ridiculous. Here's some pics of me and mr. amydalayna getting some riding in. Mr. Amydalayna is probably even happier about being in the snow than I am because he missed out on lots of it with a broken arm/wrist.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
thanks! i'll have to put some more up of chinese dh. i'm hoping i'll be able to shuttle the whole ride in 2 weeks.
when it's clear, you should come out and pedal around with us!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
here's a blurry pic of the drop at a different angle. i'm a bad guage of height. maybe 5/6 feet?
the soil on the trail is really dry, so it makes for a pretty loose landing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
here's a blurry pic of the drop at a different angle. i'm a bad guage of height. maybe 5/6 feet?
the soil on the trail is really dry, so it makes for a pretty loose landing.

Well, it looks like 25 pinkbike feet to me...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
Well, it looks like 25 pinkbike feet to me...
mr.amydalayna said it was NOT 6 feet. shorter than that. i have no idea.
last night we tried to ride further up the trail, but a big north facing section is pretty well covered with snow. oh well.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Amy--

Where the beegeebers is the Chinese Downhill??? I've heard loads about it, and though I've lived in the Tahoe area for 12+ years, have never ridden it. Would like to give it a try, though I am a pansy when it comes to any drops higher than a street curb (haha).

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
you are welcome to come out and ride it with me anytime. it parallels where jackie chans was and ends down by burger king. drop me a PM if you want to give it a go this Sunday. I'm hiking Tallac on Saturday, so that day is pretty well shot.
here's 2 more photos from it from this weekend's ride.
me:

mister amydalayna taking it easy:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
no :(
new one isn't going to be here for another week. i can't wait.
i'll be sad to sell this bike. climbs and sprints like a champ. but it's a straight up xc bike.

how's the MKIII treating you? Have you ridden it yet? when this trail is totally snow-free you should come down and ride.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
it's in the garage, 1/2 apart. I hope to have everything together this evening and hopefully putting in my first ride tomorrow after work.

what's the rest of that trail like? DH bike worthy?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
The top is still the old top of chans. at the beginning you pick up speed over the water bars, but then you have some climbing to do after that. and then it turns into really fast turns.
Later in the year it gets a bit dusty because it's shared with dirt bikes.

I always brought the bullit over the xc bike just for traction/braking, but a trail bike will be much better.

Last year there was a really burly side trail that cut out. Big log rides and drops and such. It got shut down faster than you can say "mountain bikes are responsible for diminishing lake clarity".

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Thanks for the offer to tag along, Amy. Unfortunately, unless you want to hit the trail at 6 a.m., I start work at noon Sunday, so it'll have to wait. Next Saturday, May 13, is a road ride for the Alta Alpina cycling club, and I'll be doing that as it's a bit of a fund raiser for TCF. That, too, may get cut short for me, since we may be losing 2 supervisors, and I might have to start earlier. Any one up for a night ride??????