Biking and hiking map apps questions.

Discussion in 'General News' started by Electric_City, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Electric_City

Electric_City The orangutans are loose!

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 223
    We have a trail system where people get lost all the time. The land managers wanted us to paint blazes on rocks and trees. I want to post several signs that have info on them telling people that the maps are available on their phone. Google Maps will show you right where you are on your phone and what direction you're heading. What other apps are handy and quickly downloadable at the trail head to help people find their way around? Trailforks? Strava? Do they show you where you are at that moment? That's what We're looking for. I know Apple and Google stopped cooperating a couple years ago and Apple came out with their own map system. Any idea if it works good, or if it's worth using in a lost situation? Thanks

#1 -   Oct 3, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    230 / 1,643
    I use a combo of Trailforks & MTBProject - this seems to cover *most* of the legit trails that are available.

These both show you where you are, even if there is no mobile signal (uses phone's GPS) - you *do* need to make sure you download the area you are in if you expect to not have a mobile signal.

#2 -   Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jstuhlman

jstuhlman We noticed.

Rep/Likes:
    317 / 3,023
    for backcountry here, where there is no cell signal, I use maps via the avenza maps app, which always shows you where you are.

#3 -   Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1