Quantcast

biking, climbing.... what next?

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Hey hunnies (and any fellows who hang out in the girly threads)

I just started rock climbing... and it's hard, but very fun.

Does anyone else climb?

I'm trying to get a bit of advice about shoes and harness and such, and figured I would try out the chicas at the monkey before *gasp* signing up for the forums at rockclimber.com *gasp*

I don't have shoes or harness yet.

Anybody know anything about these things?

mountaingoat

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
Hell Paso Texas
Rock climbing is awesome.. I would say go one size down for shoes from your streetshoe size.. 5.10 is awesome.. Get some comfortable shoes.. I cant have funn when my feet hurt.. The harness, just get one that fits good.. Black diamond, blue water are good companies.. Bouldering is the best..:mumble:

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
mountaingoat said:
Bouldering is the best.
I think I get to try that tonight.
I understand that bouldering at the gym is easier, because you basically don't need a partner, so you can show up when ever you want and just climb....

I just think it looks a little silly, is all. I think that is because it looks like everyone starts out on their butt......... I am about 6 feet tall, why should I start on my butt?

I am thinking about getting the Black Diamond Primrose Package..

it comes with the ATC, locking biner, chalk bag, and chalk......

ahhh fck

now I've got a problem.
I was checking prices for the harness package, and REI is having a closeout on it...

it's usually $89.
It's now $59.
A harness alone costs $44.

And it's close to christmas, and my general rule is that I am not to buy *anything* for myself ............. I am having a dilemma

sht

:dead:

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
mountaingoat said:
Thats a deal.. Get yur boyfriend to get it for ya.. Here is a pic o me at my home , Hueco tanks..:drool: This is bouldering at its best.. The downclimb is scarier..
Dude...where's your pad. I know your 36 yr. old bones aren't gonna take a fall from up there!! Just Kidding.

The package deal is worth it. My only problem with climbing (not bouldering) is that you HAVE to replace your gear when its integrity is in question. Starts to get pricey when you are replacing $80 cams that you dropped from 3ft.

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
510 shoes are the best!
I also like the girls Arcteryx harness and have a Sterling rope.
I haven't bought gear in a couple of years though so I can't advise on what's brand new........since moving to LA I haven't had opportunities to climb. I used to live in northwest AR and had local crags and boulders 10 minutes from my house............I miss it.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
tomacdaddy said:
Starts to get pricey when you are replacing $80 cams that you dropped from 3ft.
You're kidding me right? I'm all for replacing stuff when the integrity is in question, but I would not question the integrity of a cam dropped from 3 ft, or even if I dropped on it from 3 ft.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
bluebug32 said:
Where are you climbing this time of year? You should come up to New Paltz and climb the Gunks :D
I am climbing at Sportrock in Alexandria

I am from near Albany, and do know about the Gunks... but I don't think that my current skill level would allow me to fully appreciate the place.

Also... talked to the bf, made sure he didn't get me a harness for Xmas, and ordered the package off of REI.

Woo Hooo!

Now, I just gotta work on shoes.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
kinghami3 said:
You're kidding me right? I'm all for replacing stuff when the integrity is in question, but I would not question the integrity of a cam dropped from 3 ft, or even if I dropped on it from 3 ft.
Using the equipment (catching you in a fall) is what it is meant for.
If you drop anything onto rock (and usually there is a lotta rock when climbing), it is suggested to replace the item rather than risk failure in a compromising situation.
I think most of the time it is overkill, but for peace of mind...

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
MudGrrl said:
Hey hunnies (and any fellows who hang out in the girly threads)...
I just started rock climbing... and it's hard, but very fun....
Congrats on trying rockclimbing! I am really afraid of heights so I won't be following you in your footsteps!

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
I am really afraid of heights so I won't be following you in your footsteps!

I *was* really afraid of heights until September 18th...of this year.

I jumped out of a plane at 14k ft.

I am not so much scared of heights anymore.

:D

I will say that I was kind of scared of coming off the wall. I wasn't sure how far I would fall until my belayer caught me. I got over that pretty quickly, and now I regularly come off the wall....

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MudGrrl said:
I am climbing at Sportrock in Alexandria

I am from near Albany, and do know about the Gunks... but I don't think that my current skill level would allow me to fully appreciate the place.

Also... talked to the bf, made sure he didn't get me a harness for Xmas, and ordered the package off of REI.

Woo Hooo!

Now, I just gotta work on shoes.
Awesome, enjoy! I've done indoor climbing and that's about it. It's really fun and a great winter activity.

Where near Albany are you from?

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
bluebug32 said:
Where near Albany are you from?
Cobleskill

I have family in Scotia, Schenectady, Altamont, Catskill, Saratoga....

My bf and I are heading up there on the 23rd for the holiday festivities.

We're also looking for someplace to snowshoe, if there is enough snow to shoe when we get there.
:)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
MudGrrl said:
Cobleskill

I have family in Scotia, Schenectady, Altamont, Catskill, Saratoga....

My bf and I are heading up there on the 23rd for the holiday festivities.

We're also looking for someplace to snowshoe, if there is enough snow to shoe when we get there.
:)
Cobleskill..

You probably know her by name.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
laura said:
you should talk to biggins. i think he gave up biking to fish and boulder all day long.

haha for the most part.

uhmmm the package deal you got looks good for the price. until you really start climbing a lot i would hook up with some hunnies or homies at the gym and have them take you out for some bouldering or better yet some top rope routes.

you will need to eventually begin getting gear but dont worry about it at the beginning.

as far as shoes......that is where many climbers differ. for 10 years all i climbed in were 5.10 brand shoes...now i am using LaSportiva brand shoes.

there are 2 main things to consider when buying shoes other than fit:

thing 1: what type of climbing will you be doing? if you are going to be bouldering you will want something that slips on or something that velcros. Bouldering requires quite a bit of energy with each attempt so long rests between are usually in order as well as short walks from one boulder to another so something easy to get in and out of will be of utmost importance.
thing 2:are you looking ofr something high performance or something to wear all day? a high performance shoe will have a dramatically asymetric last and it wont last as long. the last is basically the platform that the shoes is built around.

here is an example of a high performance shoe. notice the banana shape of the shoe, it also has a twist in towards the big toe. all climbing shoes are designed to focus your foot strength on the big toe and ball of your foot.

here is an example of a more comfortable all day kind of shoe. notice it is less radically bent. these types of shoes will often have a slight amount of padding in the tongue and be a little less like foot bindings and more like ballet shoes.

having said all that, i would look for a shoe that is very durable (being a beginner you will drag your toes and have messier footwork which will result in quicker wear). Also a shoe that has some support because your feet may not be strong enough at the beginning to use some of the more sensitive shoes out there. I usually size down 1.5 to 2 sizes but i do primarily high performance bouldery stuff. Remember that most climbing shoes over time will stretch around a half size and you do not wear socks with climbing shoes.

hope this helps some.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MudGrrl said:
I know your mom.

Took me a lil while, considering I've been out of high school since ahhhhhh forever
Weird! Yeah, I was talking to her last night and mentioned you. She remembered you and your sister right away. She remembered you as a "really talented artist."

Dr. Steth

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Anywhere but here.
Check out Evolv too. They are made in the states...much cheaper. And they make a vry good womens shoe.

Oh and if you're climbing in a gym, TAPE YOUR FINGERS(anyone will show you). The holds are overbuilt so it's easy to pop a tendon putting you out for a llllooooooong time.

Also find a GOOD spotter and learn how to fall. Don't land on the edge of a crash pad, eye your landing...etc.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I rode a little bit in Coby....

friends and I used to riding through the quarry (and we also got chased out of it)........

Since coby, I kinda dropped it and picked it back up again.
I have no idea where to ride up there now..

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MudGrrl said:
I rode a little bit in Coby....

friends and I used to riding through the quarry (and we also got chased out of it)........

Since coby, I kinda dropped it and picked it back up again.
I have no idea where to ride up there now..
Apparently the college's ski lodge is fun. I have a friend who goes down it on his XC bike. He also rides on some of the state land. I didn't start seriously riding until I moved to the Hudson Valley. I've got my mom riding my old mountain bike on a trainer though, so that's exciting.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
biggins said:
hope this helps some.
I just signed up for a membership, and the gym is giving me some free Montrail shoes.

Woo Hoo!

I love free stuff.

They are apparently a little more aggressive than I need, but they're free, so I'm excited.

and.... I've been wearing knee high socks with the rental shoes. Rental shoes= stinky.