Quantcast

Biking good for snowboarding?

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
Does anyone know if mountian biking will help endurance for snowboarding? Im sure it helps the aerobic part, but does it strengthen the same musles used for snowboarding? I know that I was very fatiged in the legs after a day on the slopes last year, and I'm thinking of training by cycling in order to prevent some of that. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
You might want to try a balance trainer.

http://www.indoboard.com/

*it will help work the muscles you use for snowboarding, more than riding xc on a mountainbike. You might also consider strengthening your core/midsection as well because if you're legs are really spent, they might be over-compensating for a weak midsection.

if you're into weight training as well, try to incorporate lunges and light squats with dumbells into your workout. really work your legs and midsection hard, because all your power for turning and carving will come from below the chest.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
DH mountain biking definitely helps for snowboarding b/c u spend most your time with knees bent in that crouched position same as you do with snowboarding.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My legs use to burn like crazy while skiing. Now that I mountain bike a lot all year around. I hardly ever feel the burn anymore. I feel like Ive become a better skier since my legs are stronger too. After my workouts, I usually do 800 squats without weight and this has helped a lot, also.

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove
Yea I would have thought that stronger legs will help, and since freerideing or DH your on your toes with your knees bent mountain biking would be pretty good for preparing. Well, i'll see this year! =D

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
the only thing that really helps me is going out and snowboarding. the first couple of times i'm always worked.
i heard pilates is supposed to be good, but i really can't way.
but working your core muscles and stretching alot helps.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The first few times I snowboarded, I got completely sore everywhere. I think its becasue some muscles used in snowboarding aren't used much for other sports.

I am now 16, I have been snowboarding since I was 10, I don't really get sore anymore, unless I fall on the groomed snow in the park. So after you've snowboarded enough (your muscles proabably get stronger and your body is used to it.

I like the high powder areas (at resorts ) more though becasue you can find/explore natural lips ledges and its powder, so your landings/crashes are soft.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Argonzero said:
Does anyone know if mountian biking will help endurance for snowboarding? Im sure it helps the aerobic part, but does it strengthen the same musles used for snowboarding? I know that I was very fatiged in the legs after a day on the slopes last year, and I'm thinking of training by cycling in order to prevent some of that. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Yes. I never get tired when I'm snowboarding. All my friends who don't bike are always complaining about how tired and sore they are, and I'm not even in amazing shape when it comes to biking.