Quantcast

Biking in the city is dangerous

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
this happened today. It's a few blocks from where I work, and up till a year ago was on my everyday commute.

ironically, it happened on the day this guy went on trial.

Being doored is one of my biggest phobias. I routinely think to myself when riding next to a line of parked cars: "if a door opens, ride into it, not away from it". But I have little faith that my reflexes will follow that line of thought.

From the pictures of the helmet in the article, it looks like the car rolled over her head. It's too gruesome to even think about. A colleague of my brother was there when it happened and has been sent home in shock.

I really feel for the woman, and hope she isn't a mom.

SacredYeti

Monkey
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
this happened today. It's a few blocks from where I work, and up till a year ago was on my everyday commute.

ironically, it happened on the day this guy went on trial.
Motorists really need to have higher standards before being allowed to drive, especially in NY and CA. I haven't dealt with any on a bike but just driving seeing how many HORRIBLE drivers there are on the road I don't think I could ever invest in a road bike. Just saying this whole thing easily could've been avoided had the person in the car LOOKED BEFORE THEY OPENED THE DOOR :rant:

Having said that, the dude in the second link, that pleaded not guilty, should be drug out to a public square and shot in the chest. Look at the look on dude's face, really?!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
A f*king asshat spat on me today from his old rusted white Jimmy. Douche, I went to speak to him and he sped away...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I routinely think to myself when riding next to a line of parked cars: "if a door opens, ride into it, not away from it". But I have little faith that my reflexes will follow that line of thought.
I know, right? Commuting in big cities is defintely dangerous, no doubt about that.