Quantcast

biking + iPod = DEATH

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
SkaredShtles said:
If they do it while driving they should have their license revoked immediately.

I see all manner of people listening to music through ear-buds whilst operating motor vehicles..and I agree..although they should be severly beaten prior to license revocation..

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
If they do it while driving they should have their license revoked immediately.
there are plenty of car stereos which can reach the same dB level as an iPod-driven set of ear buds.

there are too many rules to enforce as it is; personally, i'd rather have the police worry about people who swerve lane-to-lane, blow through red lights, and who don't use their blinkers.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
It used to be illegal in texas to drive with headphones on, I’m not sure if it’s still a law.

I do listen to my mp3 player while riding sometimes but if I’m on the rhode I always have the ear to traffic open so I can hear everything. It’s also never loud enough to drowned out noises in the other ear. It’s just meant a focal point not an escape from noise.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I've ridden road, XC, 4X and moto with my iPod, but not DH. I really don't care for music during an XC ride, even by myself, but road is intolerable without some blaring heavy metal in the earhole. 4X was a different experience, it was kinda hard to hear the gate cadence! I think I'd like riding DH with headphones, just haven't tried it yet. Moto with an iPod is like biscuits and gravy: meant to be together.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
when i was 18 someone stole my radio out of my car. for 2 years i listened to headphones while i drove around. now i have a radio, so i don't.

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
haven't tried it yet. it seems like you would have the best of all worlds, your favorite bike on you favorite trail listening to your favorite music. but i gotta imagine it could mess with your concentration. also, the souds of the wilderness and nature are some of my favorite parts about riding. especially DH, hear all the dirt flying around, the rocks and branches slapping againt your rim.
it's great.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
When I am riding by myself, you damn right I listen to my MP3 player (NOT iPod)

I keep it at a level where I can still hear whats going on around me, its more background music.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BigMike said:

I keep it at a level where I can still hear whats going on around me, its more background music.
As long as you can hear someone behind you yell "on your left!" I don't have a problem with people wearing headphones on the trails. I did come up behind some guy once who couldn't hear me and it really pissed me off.

I don't think I'd ever listen to my mp3 player while on the road. To much around to pay attention to.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
pixelninja said:
As long as you can hear someone behind you yell "on your left!" I don't have a problem with people wearing headphones on the trails. I did come up behind some guy once who couldn't hear me and it really pissed me off.

I don't think I'd ever listen to my mp3 player while on the road. To much around to pay attention to.
Yep, only time i've ever had a problem with stuff like that on a trail was when I DIDNT have my music on. Came around a blind corner, someone else was coming the other way, BAM!

I have come across people that are listining to somthing, and I can hear it, that means its too loud!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
The Toninator said:
It used to be illegal in texas to drive with headphones on, I’m not sure if it’s still a law.

I do listen to my mp3 player while riding sometimes but if I’m on the rhode I always have the ear to traffic open so I can hear everything. It’s also never loud enough to drowned out noises in the other ear. It’s just meant a focal point not an escape from noise.
Exactly. I do it just to give me a little motivation and something to give me something in my head as background noise. But the ear on the traffic is always open and clear.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I ride my road bike with my iPod and non-ear bud headphones. Granted I am only on a main road for about 3 minutes each way to work. I am extra cautious when riding my road bike because I know not being able to hear the traffic around me as well as I could if I didn&#8217;t have them on is a little dangerous.

I tried riding my downhill bike with it the other day and the ear buds kept getting wiggled loose. I needed to use the ear buds because I do DH with a full face. Also I think having my Tragus' pierced had a lot to do with the buds coming loose. I don&#8217;t really like ear bud style headphones anyways.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I'll listen to tunes from time to time while xc or dhing, but never too terribly loud or if their is alot of traffic on the trail. I don't think I could bring myself to do it on my road bike. I'm scared enough of the cars on the road as it is, don't need to give them any other advantage!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Total Heckler said:
I don’t really like ear bud style headphones anyways.
My ears must be shaped weird, because the ear bud styple of headphones never stay in place, even when just working out or riding the stationary bike. I've had a coupld different pairs and they just don't stay in.

I use these, and even though they're super cheap, they still sound good to me.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
I listen to my ipod on road rides only. Kinda scary but it makes me go faster and train harder. Never really wear my headphones for dh or trails or anything like that, I like being able to hear the spectators reaction as well as the course marshalls warnings going into certain sections, and if your bike is making a weird noises. I think wearing headphones while racing Dh would kinda ruin the whole experience in my opinon.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
pixelninja said:
My ears must be shaped weird, because the ear bud styple of headphones never stay in place, even when just working out or riding the stationary bike. I've had a coupld different pairs and they just don't stay in.

Hey, the cheaper the better because I'm not even sure I could hang with them while doing downhill. From what I got when they stayed in, it was pretty rad to listen to some chemical brothers while bombing some of my favorite local trails. =]

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I listin to music in Whistler, and on some local trails sometimes, normally I'm never alone. I don't ride XC or road so I don't worry about traffic. At dirtjumps, I drive my truck up to them and just play my I-Pod out of the car loud so we can all here it.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
BigMike said:

I always have it while riding on the road......after a while you kind of develop a sense of what's going on around you even if you can't always hear it. (I suppose it's kind of like being deaf- surely they wouldn't tell a non hearing person to avoid biking or driving)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
T-Dog said:
I always have it while riding on the road......after a while you kind of develop a sense of what's going on around you even if you can't always hear it. (I suppose it's kind of like being deaf- surely they wouldn't tell a non hearing person to avoid biking or driving)
So, your spidey-senses start tingling when someone comes up behind you? :rolleyes:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
When I ride road for a 4mi. to school, I listen to my ipod. Its a quiet road between farms/houses with lots of land. Cars barely come through. It's kind of boring, so I like to listen stuff like motorhead or Motley Crue. It makes me go faster (like someone said).

I get annoyed when I jump off a little bumb and they fall out.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
T-Dog said:
Right, there are other ways you can tell an eighteen wheeler is coming up-jackass.
Lighten up T-Dog. For someone with super powers, you sure are thin-skinned.

Your spidey-senses obviously didn't pick up on my poor attempt at jest. :blah:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't want or need earphones or buds when I'm riding, I don't like the isolation and I like to clear my head when I ride. Tunes cranking from a car or other system are ok but I don't like blocking my ears or having gadgets to mess with.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I recently got an MP3 player and listened to it on my last 2 road rides two weeks ago........I left the left ear bud out so I could hear traffic.......I must say it was a good motivator esspecially when I hit the hills.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I got used to listening to nothing when I ride. Given my urban locales over the years, I think I prefer silence to the city noises.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So many people afraid of riding road (freeroading, anyone?) with headphones in and music playing... hmmm... I'm with T-Dog on this one, there are other ways of telling if a car is coming up from behind you. And here's a thought: even if you CAN hear that approaching 18-wheeler, you're STILL toast if they decide to bump you off the shoulder and into a dtich, doesn't really matter if you can hear him do it or not!

:D

I don't know, I love the music on the road and on the moto, but no bueno for XC. There's something zen about XC for me that music throws the balance off from. DHing? It COULD be cool... but a good friend of mine once told me: "I don't listen to music when I ride DH because there is a certain, distinct noise that your tyres make just before they loose traction. I like to listen for that noise so I know when enough is enough." Or something like that...

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
pixelninja said:
Lighten up T-Dog. For someone with super powers, you sure are thin-skinned.

Your spidey-senses obviously didn't pick up on my poor attempt at jest. :blah:

Sorry-maybe my senses are dulled by the effect of too many black and tans last night (Westy was in town).

What I mean is, I usually take a look back now and then- especially when on long straight stretches, or on a climb with switchbacks, I look down frequently and can see what's coming up and can anticipate traffic coming.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
berkshire_rider said:
Is their a difference in terms of safety, awareness, and $hitty driving between using headphones to listen to music while driving, or most people on their cell phones while driving? :confused:
I think I'd rather be driving around with a bunch of people listening to music through headphones then a bunch of people talking on their cell phones.

J

JRB

I ride on the road with an mp3 player. Like Toni said, I keep my left ear open, and I am religious about having a Tiger Eye mirror on my helmet.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
T-Dog said:
Sorry-maybe my senses are dulled by the effect of too many black and tans last night (Westy was in town).

What I mean is, I usually take a look back now and then- especially when on long straight stretches, or on a climb with switchbacks, I look down frequently and can see what's coming up and can anticipate traffic coming.
Its cool :thumb: I think the important thing is that you're making an honest attempt at being aware of what's around you.

J

JRB

pixelninja said:

I use those. I am tempted to get a second set and cut the left lead off, so I don't have to tuck it in my jersey. It's crappy feeling when you get sweaty.