Quantcast

Biking while black

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good to see at least some effort being made.

For anyone interested in the history of racism in cycling, I highly recommend reading Andrew Ritchie's 1988 book about Major Taylor. An incredible athlete who broke through racial barriers in the late 1800's/early 1900's. He made a fortune and was world-famous but died pretty much penniless and in obscurity.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Pretty sure this is because if black people started professionally racing bicycles, we'd get our asses stomped. The Kenyans and Jamaicans would fuck us UP. Usain Bolt on a bicycle? Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Pretty sure this is because if black people started professionally racing bicycles, we'd get to get our asses stomped. The Kenyans and Jamaicans would fuck us UP. Usain Bolt on a bicycle? Jesus Christ.
And our CSUs wouldn’t creak...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Pinkbike actually puts out some good content these days
They do. It’s a real mixed bag however. A pretty different animal from the days of old though and they seem to be headed in the right direction. Glad to see them addressing the tone of the comments... which has always been pretty atrocious.

Theradavist does a good job with their comment section. Jerks not welcome. It’s made clear and slapped down swiftly. It’s not that hard.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
dude. eff teh radavist. such hipster. so stylish. much self important. many elite.
It’s not really my cup of tea, but you know what - their comments are civil and not full of racist bullshit... which was my point.

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
In my pants
Pinkbike is the Facebook of mountainbiking. Creepy as hell, clickbaity moreso every day, and no amount of legitimately talented photographers will ever change that. You guys realize their reviews are paid for right? One of the guys from dirtrag got ahold of one of the contracts for favorable reviews a while back.

And all those fun "polls?" That's data mining they sell to advertisers to focus demographic marketing.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Pinkbike is the Facebook of mountainbiking. Creepy as hell, clickbaity moreso every day, and no amount of legitimately talented photographers will ever change that. You guys realize their reviews are paid for right? One of the guys from dirtrag got ahold of one of the contracts for favorable reviews a while back.

And all those fun "polls?" That's data mining they sell to advertisers to focus demographic marketing.
Yes Kidwoo, we know that. What do you think about Vitalmtb?

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
In my pants
Yes Kidwoo, we know that. What do you think about Vitalmtb?
I can't even say it without crying. I remember when vital was dh and dirtjumping. Now it wants to be pinkbike.

But my stomach churned a bit reading that 'pinkbike has gotten pretty legit'

It's john's fault

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Good to see at least some effort being made.

For anyone interested in the history of racism in cycling, I highly recommend reading Andrew Ritchie's 1988 book about Major Taylor. An incredible athlete who broke through racial barriers in the late 1800's/early 1900's. He made a fortune and was world-famous but died pretty much penniless and in obscurity.
Bought this book today from the local book hole now that it's back open. Will report back. Or possibly die of teh Rona

CBJ

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Isn't that most of the Internet. Light entertainment with the purpose to get data out of you for advertisers. I have a feeling the poll trick is a much a way to lure money out of the advertisers promising more targeted ads but I would not be surprised if there was no correlation between polls and purchase behavior.
I can't even say it without crying. I remember when vital was dh and dirtjumping. Now it wants to be pinkbike.

But my stomach churned a bit reading that 'pinkbike has gotten pretty legit'

It's john's fault
Legit, maybe in the entertainment category. I have not read reviews as more than that since I bought my first Mountain Bike Action in 1995.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My family does not practice anti-racism and that did not change when they adopted me. On the contrary, the struggles I’ve had with my identity stem from their attitudes and beliefs about race. Growing up, my grandmother was perhaps the worst offender. She flagrantly used racial slurs to refer to people who look like me. She openly hated interracial couples and forbid me to date Black men. At a young age, I learned to hate the color of my skin, the curl of my hair, and the deep color of my eyes. Before bed I would pray that my skin would transform overnight; that I would awaken in another body with another identity more acceptable to the people I loved.

Good read.