Quantcast

Biking with a dog?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So we've taken my girl's dog on hikes and while we've walked 4-5 miles, he's done like 3x that amount and never tires, so...

advise us on biking with a doggie :)

Have you tried that metal pole thingy that attaches to your bike with a spring that attaches to the leash? If so, how well does it work? Would a 35# dog unbalance a relatively inexperienced rider? Also, what's that contraption called?

TIA!

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
My dog rides with me everytime I am in the dirt. I dont use a leash or anything like that. I am lucky that she stays with me. She is extremely fast. The leash can cause major problems if the dog goes one way around a tree and you go another. To try this put a rope between you and a friend on a bike. The same can be true for you and the dog. I totally recommend taking the dog out. They have sooo much fun running free in the woods.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I think it pretty much depends on the dog...it's temperment and breed.

I had a Husky that was fine on the woods as long as there was nothing to distract it. Once distracted, then I was chasing the bastard. And I would not bother with a leash or anything. Tried that too. Nothing like the dog yanking on the leash, you cranking the handlebars and ending up looking like an idiot!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sanchez always goes with me. Once i ran him over a few times, he quit getting in the way, and now runs right behind me, or way ahead. Its great.

As for those pole things...that looks like double death waiting to happen. If he runs around a fire hydrant or stump....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
sorry, I should've clarified that this would be in the city/parks.

Yeah, if we were on dirt, he'd be free to run cuz he never runs too far away while we're hiking.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
LordOpie said:
sorry, I should've clarified that this would be in the city/parks.

Yeah, if we were on dirt, he'd be free to run cuz he never runs too far away while we're hiking.
Well then that's quite dilema....I never had fun trying to ride my bike and manage the dog on the leash (or whatever) I was always getting yanked one way or another. But in a City/Parks I would imagine there is a leash law. My advice would be,"hell yeah take the pooch with you, but find somewhere to ride where you don't have to have 'em on a leash."