Quantcast

Bio diesel Vs Greesle conversion

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I'm about to pick up a 1st gen cummins in the next week or so and want to run on some form of Bio. So far I'm leaning towards doing a greasle conversion because it seems to be less work and less limited as far as being on road trips. I've heard the veg oil doesn't run quite as clean through the engine as bio. What do you guys think?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I'll say it, and no, I don't hate the planet. Run diesel in it. It's a $6000 motor that was designed to run best on high sulfur fuel. You already can't do that, so why give it more of a challenge.

Just a tidbit...injectors are at least a hundred each and the pump on that thing is most likely $700 - $1000 these days. I wouldn't tempt fate on a motor that costs that much coin to work on.

And before you say it, I can work on one too and it's not the labor that is the issue on those. Besides, you'll have enough issues with the Dodge itself. :)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'll say it, and no, I don't hate the planet. Run diesel in it. It's a $6000 motor that was designed to run best on high sulfur fuel. You already can't do that, so why give it more of a challenge.

Just a tidbit...injectors are at least a hundred each and the pump on that thing is most likely $700 - $1000 these days. I wouldn't tempt fate on a motor that costs that much coin to work on.

And before you say it, I can work on one too and it's not the labor that is the issue on those. Besides, you'll have enough issues with the Dodge itself. :)
ill have to agree with this.

and depending on what year Ram, he may or may not have issues with the rear end and or tranny

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

:stupid:

A friend of mine burned up his injection pump. We had to replace the injection pump and the lift pump. He decided to upgrade to the FASS setup and the truck was awesome after that.

$3000 in parts, about 18 hours in labor, not including beer. I bought a Ford 7.3.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
:stupid:

A friend of mine burned up his injection pump. We had to replace the injection pump and the lift pump. He decided to upgrade to the FASS setup and the truck was awesome after that.

$3000 in parts, about 18 hours in labor, not including beer. I bought a Ford 7.3.
I had a 7.3 with nearly 300k with the original pump. I changed the oil every 25k on it. Most awesome truck ever. It got totaled on the interstate. :rant:

I spent less on it in total, than Ford did on repairs on a 96' Powerstroke.

Had a 6.9 too that was stupid tough. Had 5:something gears in it and would only do 68 mph in a free fall off of a cliff. :rofl: It would pull anything though.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
4 cyl TD cummins in a smaller turdango though? i'm in...
will never happen. all 3 US auto makers stopped their small diesel concept work...plus the Durango wont see a new model until 2012 i believe...and possibly might have a name change to the Magnum (hopefully not!)

the only 4cyl diesel truck in the States will be the new Mahindra coming later this year.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Guys, he's talking 1st gen Cummins, 12v, mechanical fuel pump, solid injection pump. This engine is much more reliable than the second gen 24v Cummins (I had one, it wasn't bad but had to keep an eye on the lift pump pressure). I'd never recommend a grease conversion on a 24v truck but on a 12v I say go for it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
anyone else see the irony of the Free education, attack the UC Presidents home, liberal activist protester driving a full size diesel Pickup
Wait till he's in his 40's, then you'll see the real irony. He's going to be a slick, rich republican who's company rapes some third world forest for profit. :p

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Guys, he's talking 1st gen Cummins, 12v, mechanical fuel pump, solid injection pump. This engine is much more reliable than the second gen 24v Cummins (I had one, it wasn't bad but had to keep an eye on the lift pump pressure). I'd never recommend a grease conversion on a 24v truck but on a 12v I say go for it.
You owning one doesn't change the cost of a pump or injectors. :think: I knew all too well he was not talking a 24 valve. I still wouldn't recommend it on a 12 valve. Not if I didn't have coin to address systems failing. Seals and ports are what fail on these pumps and they weren't designed initially for anything but high sulphur diesel.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
You owning one doesn't change the cost of a pump or injectors. :think: I knew all too well he was not talking a 24 valve. I still wouldn't recommend it on a 12 valve. Not if I didn't have coin to address systems failing. Seals and ports are what fail on these pumps and they weren't designed initially for anything but high sulphur diesel.
No more than your experience with Powerstrokes does.

Here you go Mooshoo: http://www.greasecar.com/kit_selected.cfm?selectA=+&selectB=+&selectC=30&AddToCart=Find+Kit+%BB

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
No more than your experience with Powerstrokes does.

Here you go Mooshoo: http://www.greasecar.com/kit_selected.cfm?selectA=+&selectB=+&selectC=30&AddToCart=Find+Kit+%BB
These geniuses think there is a trunk on a truck. I wouldn't go with this plan. :think:

REMOTE FILL KIT (RF100) $75.00
[add »]
[« remove]

Introducing the Greasecar Remote Fill Kit! If you are tired of popping the trunk each time you fill up, then our Remote Fill Kit is just the solution. Add it to your purchase of a Conversion Kit, or retrofit a tank you already have.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
These geniuses think there is a trunk on a truck. I wouldn't go with this plan. :think:

REMOTE FILL KIT (RF100) $75.00
[add »]
[« remove]

Introducing the Greasecar Remote Fill Kit! If you are tired of popping the trunk each time you fill up, then our Remote Fill Kit is just the solution. Add it to your purchase of a Conversion Kit, or retrofit a tank you already have.
It's Mooshoo...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Mooshoooooo!!! It's a diesel! It will burn anything! Anything at all! Do whatever your precious little heart desires, and be SURE to tell us about it!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Thanks guys, I'm not trying to blow up my truck here. So no go on the grease? what type work are we talking about to get it working right? I know I need injectors. the truck I'm going to look at tomorrow has a second tank in the bed so I figured I could buy a heater and heat the 2nd tank maybe. What exactly is up with the injector pumps?

Any word on bio diesel. I can get a tank to make it for free but long term i was thinking grease would be better. If grease is a no go though then 50cents a gallon with limited range (talking road trips only) is better than full pop on diesel

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I'm about to pick up a 1st gen cummins in the next week or so and want to run on some form of Bio. So far I'm leaning towards doing a greasle conversion because it seems to be less work and less limited as far as being on road trips. I've heard the veg oil doesn't run quite as clean through the engine as bio. What do you guys think?
Didnt look at the other responces yet, but if you get set up right at home, it runs exactly like deisel fuel. Because its going to be the same.

you het it, you filter it, you chemically seperate, you adjust the specific gravity........ No upgrades needed after that..... initial cost can be a bit, most people get setup to be able to do a hundred plus gallons at a time, but fifty would be a nice amount as well.....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hey Loco, I just read your posts...... it actually has absolutly nothing to do with Sulfer.... it parafin...Hi slufer is what eats up the seals.....

To truly do this right, you do have to be a bit of a chemist