Quantcast

Bionicon

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What is a BIONICON?
BIONICON Backcountry Mountainbikes offers the first and only on-the-fly adjustable geometry system that gives you a dramatic range of performance from Downhill to aggressive Climbing geometry and anywhere in between with the simple push of a button.

Where did BIONICON come from?
BIONICON began developing and patenting this system over 10 years ago, inspired by watching mountain goats ascending and descending steep terrain while keeping their backs relatively level. The goal was to create a bike that mimics this design of nature, a BIONIC CONCEPT and BIONICON was born.

After launching BIONICON in 2001 the European Market has come to embrace the technology and there are now a few thousand BIONICON bikes out there being enjoyed by all types of riders. BIONICON has a proven technology that is reliable, durable, and is easy to use and service. And now BIONICON USA has brought this advanced technology to the American market.

What does the Media think about it?
All Good reviews, you can see for yourself by checking the links below and there is more under the news and media page on our Website www.bionicon.com this is just the beginning of BIONICON’s growing media coverage, we have more bikes currently being tested so expect to see a lot more in the near future.

Mountain Bike Action, June 07 issue – Test and review on the Golden Willow, on the news stands soon.

MTBR.com – Golden Willow review with over a six month test period
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=287695&highlight=bionicon

Mountain Bike UK – Golden Willow Review “The Holy Grail”, download the pdf from
http://www.bionicon.com/standard.xml?vpID=445&SID=1176926247_f8d10000009d3ee9cc7e

Azfreeride.com – online Edison Review
http://www.azfreeride.com/?q=node/255

Mountain Bike Action – online Golden Willow review
http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=1506

Mountain Bike Action, October 05 issue – test and Review on the Edison
http://www.bionicon.com/standard.xml?vpID=483&SID=1176926455_866c0000000010f78077

Kanga

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
I've had my Edison nearly three years.... sweet bike, but I'm moving up to a 7" Bionicon Supershuttle soon....and looking forward to it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
sounds gimmicky. i would like to know exactly how they manage to keep the bb height constant through this 67 to 74 degree head angle shift, however.

fergyrock

Chimp
Apr 18, 2007
sounds gimmicky. i would like to know exactly how they manage to keep the bb height constant through this 67 to 74 degree head angle shift, however.
It may sound gimmicky but it really works well, I had the same thought when I first heard about it. It is the next step in suspension technology and a little ahead of its time.

The BB is maintained through the change because while the fork reduces travel (which normally brings the BB closer to the ground) the rear shocks eye to eye length increases, raising the rear end, this is done through an adapter threaded onto the shocks piston. basicly it takes air from the fork as it lowers and moves it to the adapter simultainiously extending it and vice versa.

Kanga

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
It bottom bracket height stays about the same because the bike is "pivoting" around the bike's pivot point, which is very close to the bottom bracket. When you lower a normal bike's front end by reducing the front fork's travel, the bike is essentially rotating around the rear axle, so the bottom bracket, being between the rear axle and the front fork, has to go lower.

The Bionicon's wheelbase also shortens by a few mm as well when changing the geometry. Makes for snappy, uncompromising handling in the climbing position. There's an animation on the mtbr web site on the pro review of the Golden Willow. That should make it a bit clearer.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
I knowthis is an oldish thread,
Just wondering.. Does it only have 2 positions uphill and downhill?

what about flat..... does it pogo at all when cranking on the peadals or does the rear lock out...

Just wondering as Im very interested in the design...

Kanga

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
I knowthis is an oldish thread,
Just wondering.. Does it only have 2 positions uphill and downhill?

what about flat..... does it pogo at all when cranking on the peadals or does the rear lock out...

Just wondering as Im very interested in the design...
Hey Slothy,

The geometry adjustment can be set anywhere... where you release the button is where the geometry will stay. Some of the bikes have the O2RL rear shock from X-fusion (rebound and lockout), and some have the RPV (rebound/platform). They're efficient climbers and competent descenders with the 6 degree range of HT angle change. As far as bob, mine has the 02RL and does bob a little when standing up and mashing, but sitting and spinning there isn't enough pedal induced bob to be noticeable to me. Get out and ride one!