Quantcast

Bird Flu

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Is this bird flu thing really an issue for us here in the US here today? Or is it hysterical hype?

I was watching an ABC special on that and other disasters we could have in the US. I was unfamiliar with the Avian flu and at the beginning of broadcast it was mentioned that this flu had no cure and like a 55% mortality rate, which made me think “oh crap!”. Then later on in the piece they mention there is medicine one can take to increase the survival rate, this Tamiflu stuff. So what gives, is this something that cannot be treated or is this something that can be treated?

The whole comparison was to the flu pandemic of 1918 and how terrible that was. Well medical science is light years ahead of what it was in 1918, so is comparing the two really accurate or is it media hype to scare the crap out of us?

Also, the piece mentioned that we could see this pandemic reach the US this winter. I read some online stuff and evidently this H5N1 virus hasn’t mutated to being transferable from human to human and that process may take a while. The emphasis was, we have no Tamiflu, this virus is coming this winter……..the sky is falling, the sky is falling………….

So what is the real story?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Andyman_1970 said:
Is this bird flu thing really an issue for us here in the US here today? Or is it hysterical hype?

I was watching an ABC special on that and other disasters we could have in the US. I was unfamiliar with the Avian flu and at the beginning of broadcast it was mentioned that this flu had no cure and like a 55% mortality rate, which made me think “oh crap!”. Then later on in the piece they mention there is medicine one can take to increase the survival rate, this Tamiflu stuff. So what gives, is this something that cannot be treated or is this something that can be treated?
Are you sure it wasn't a 55% morbidity rate? Or was that stat for bird populations?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Remember how they hyped SARS, and got everyone whipped into a frenzy? I am thinking this will be the same type of deal.

I would be more worried about this getting out...

Scientists resurrect 1918 flu, study deadliness

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Scientists who resurrected the 1918 "Spanish flu" virus that killed as many as 50 million people said on Wednesday they are beginning to understand why it caused such a deadly pandemic and say it could happen again.

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
A researcher was asked that very question on NPR yesterday. He basically said that there is no current threat to the U.S., but it is worth monitoring incase it starts spreading in the future.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
There was a really good article in this past months National Geographic about the flu pademic.

You know when Asteriod shows on TV about the end of the world and that terrible movie with Afleck and that Aerosmith song were all the rage. It seems like human extiction by the flu is now the cool new armegeddon subject.

Honestly though, it is probably the largest threat humans face in terms of something that could cause mass deaths around the globe. Maybe we should focus liberating the flu :blah:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
We're all gonna die, we're all gonna die......of course having spent my life as a good christian I'll be going "upstairs" ;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The bird flu.

That's what birds do.

You would too if that bird was you.

Hah! I kill me.

:dead:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Basically if it mutates and spreads to humans we could see a similar pandemic to 1918, which apparently is statistically overdue.

Whilst it is theoretically possible to manufacturer a vaccine (which is better for us than 1918) it would take too long to manufacture enough to do a lot of good as flu spreads so fast.

1918 was bad because of troop movement and poor living conditions, now we have similar movement of people everyday but better living conditions.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Well in 1918 anti virals weren't around like they are today in addition to vaccines. While I think it will be a pandemic, I don't think it will be on the scale of the 1918 pandemic.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
What a waste of time. I could have written this thread in advance if you just asked:
Changleen - "The bird flu was created by the US government to keep its citizens afraid and in-line. The tail is wagging the dog."
Damn True - "Anyone that gets bird flu deserves, becausethey've just been victimizing themselves. If they would just take some responsibility for their own health instead of waiting for the feds to bail them out, then Jesus wouldn't strike them down with sickness."
N8 - "The dims are dumb! yay! Check out this unrelated link: www.irubbedoneouttobarbarabush.com"

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Cooter Brown said:
media fearmongering, plain and simple, so when it does happen the military can move in and use this as another reason to implement martial law

Actually, didn't Bush just say something about having the military enforce quarantine zones if there were a pandemic here. I'm not kidding either (I thought I heard that passing a TV).

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Inclag said:
Actually, didn't Bush just say something about having the military enforce quarantine zones if there were a pandemic here. I'm not kidding either (I thought I heard that passing a TV).
You are quite correct about that.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
ohio said:
Changleen - "The bird flu was created by the US government to keep its citizens afraid and in-line. The tail is wagging the dog."
It wasn't created by USG but it is already being exploited to some degree, using the same mould as the Anthrax 'scare'.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Don't worry. By the time Bush notices there is a pandemic, you'll most likely be dead.

And besides, Barbara Bush thinks you're better off in heaven with Jesus anyways. After all, if you don't have a holiday place in Maine, are you really living?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My girlfriend read an article on CNN that there were indications that the avian flu had become resistant to the Tamiflu drug. She said they were trying to turn a new drug, Relenza, into an IV so it enters your bloodstream faster.

Scary implications...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
GWB wants to have the military available to quarantine infected populations of America. He wants to use the army to corral people and contain them. I read that he doesnt have faith in local government to do the job effectively and he is trying to get congress to approve the martial law thing...

As i listened to that i said WTF is he thinking? And what were most americans thinking when they voted for this idjit. hes a ****ing moron. The implications of using the military to police the country is very bad. In effect it could be the beginning of very bad times. I mean who's to say it stops after a bird flu epidemic? It also seems to me that maybe bush is just trying to find a way to get the military in on domestic affairs. He will form some sort of plan for any potential issue that he can to get us thinking military.

I also realized that something like a bird flu could be released into communities that are desireable for Bush to have military in. He could say, hmmn.... where do want our army to corral and contain today? lets go infect oklahoma city and get them on lock down.... anyways, just my .02 cents on this bird flu thing.

its all f'in hype to scare people into allowing BUSH & crew to pass some serious draconian freedom bashing laws that make things very unsafe for the future

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Using US troops for a quarantine would be problematic. The Posse Comitatus act prevents US troops form being used in in any law enforcement activity. The president would have to declare Martial law.

The potential harm from the bird flu is greater now than in 1918. For one thing we have people jetting from continent to continent, many wouldn't even realize they are sick until they got home. The flu could be in dozens of major cities before people knew what was going on. The world is a lot more densely populated now, so each person can more easily infect a larger number of people than in 1918. Regardless of any anti-virals, if 500,000 people in a major city get sick the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed, it will be hard to fine anyone even remotely qualified to administer the IV drip medicine. In a City like New York, hundreds or even thousands could die everyday.

That being said, it's all speculation at this point.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Changleen said:
Stay scared, America.

Actually I hope this does scare some people into acting differently. Americans are completely rude and inconsiderate when it comes to spreading illness. People constantly come into work sick, they even bring their children into work after they have been kicked out of school for being sick. Don't even get me started about the assholes who like to get on airplanes in a extremely contagious state. I like the Japanese approach of wearing masks when sick, very considerate.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Yeah the wife and I have already discussed what we would do if the pandemic broke out here in Arkansas. She would probably stop going to work and stay home with Noah, neither would go out. I would continue to work and run all the errands, wearing a mask of course and decontaminating in the garage before coming in the house.............wait let me adjust my tinfoil hat........much better............LOL

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Damn True said:
Chicken Little, Chicken Flu. Chicken Flu, Chicken Little.

Hmmm?
Hurricane in New Orleans could destroy the city, hurricane in New Orleans DID destroy the city.

I seem to remember a whole lot of criticism for lack of preparedness and investment before the disaster occured. While I agree we shouldn't go nuts based on the worst-case scenario, a little forethought and intelligent use of funds seems prudent, nay?

Too bad we're a little short on cash for domestic investments right now...

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
ohio said:
Hurricane in New Orleans could destroy the city, hurricane in New Orleans DID destroy the city.

I seem to remember a whole lot of criticism for lack of preparedness and investment before the disaster occured. While I agree we shouldn't go nuts based on the worst-case scenario, a little forethought and intelligent use of funds seems prudent, nay?

Too bad we're a little short on cash for domestic investments right now...
Forethought and intelligent use of funds. Haha! When was the last time that happened in this country?