Quantcast

bitch-slapped by reality

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Religious police in Saudi Arabia arrest mother for sitting with a man
A 37-year-old American businesswoman and married mother of three is seeking justice after she was thrown in jail by Saudi Arabia's religious police for sitting with a male colleague at a Starbucks coffee shop in Riyadh.

“Some men came up to us with very long beards and white dresses. They asked ‘Why are you here together?'. I explained about the power being out in our office. They got very angry and told me what I was doing was a great sin,” recalled Yara, who wears an abaya and headscarf, like most Saudi women.

The men were from Saudi Arabia's Commission for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, a police force of several thousand men charged with enforcing dress codes, sex segregation and the observance of prayers.
another good take on it from foxnews

normally, i'd want to bomb them back to the stone ages. but for these "men", i think up close & personal hand-to-hand combat is in order.

pussies.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If your gonna go into their country you gotta respect their rules.
in just a short time, even that may not matter: "Sharia law in UK is 'unavoidable'"

bold & brash you say? consider these events just this week:
Hamas: We're Allowed to Lie (“A Muslim is permitted to say things that oppose his beliefs in order to prevent damages or to be saved from death.” )
Wikipedia Islam Entry Is Criticized (“It’s totally unacceptable to print the Prophet’s picture,” Saadia Bukhari from Pakistan wrote in a message. “It shows insensitivity towards Muslim feelings and should be removed immediately.”)

seems that for an ever-increasing number, when there's a conflict between religious rights & human rights, the former prevails.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
and in iran, it's a 3-drink maximum: Iranian faces execution for drinking alcohol
EHRAN -- A young Iranian man has been sentenced to hang for repeatedly drinking alcohol which is strictly banned in the Islamic republic, the Etemad newspaper reported on Wednesday.

The 22-year-old, identified only as Mohsen, was handed down the death penalty by a criminal court after being found guilty of drinking alcohol for a fourth time, the daily said.

The usual punishment for a single drinking offence is 80 lashes, according to Iran's penal code which is based in Islamic sharia law.

Only recognized Christian minorities in Iran, such as the Armenians, are allowed to produce and consume alcohol, discreetly and behind closed doors in order not to offend Islamic sensibilities.
sure, let 'em have nukes. they seem like the type to respond to confrontation with temperance & reason.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
EHRAN -- A young Iranian man has been sentenced to hang for repeatedly drinking alcohol which is strictly banned in the Islamic republic, the Etemad newspaper reported on Wednesday.
Only recognized Christian minorities in Iran, such as the Armenians, are allowed to produce and consume alcohol, discreetly and behind closed doors in order not to offend Islamic sensibilities.
Praise Jesus.

(he should claim to be a xtian)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Quality journalism here. Which is it?
A young Iranian man has been sentenced to hang for repeatedly drinking alcohol which is strictly banned in the Islamic republic, the Etemad newspaper reported on Wednesday.
That Armenian homebrew will knock you on your arse

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
She described herself as secular, and apolitical. "I am anti-political," she said. "I have never advocated for anything in my life."

Ha!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
In that I am part Cherokee, works for me...now all you white devils, get out. But leave your women. Except Britney Spears. And Hilary Clinton. And Jane Pauley.

And whats so big about a picture of this guy anyway? Nice 'stache...

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
In that I am part Cherokee, works for me...now all you white devils, get out. But leave your women. Except Britney Spears. And Hilary Clinton. And Jane Pauley.

And whats so big about a picture of this guy anyway? Nice 'stache...
A fatwa on you, infidel!

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I'm so glad that we in the Western coalition of the virtuous are doing all we can to reform that corrupt and evil Saudi regime. I'd feel terrible if we were propping them up in any way whatsoever. How could any leader live with such hypocrisy?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Tell that to the fuggers who come here and try to live the same way they lived in "the old country"...
Trust me Im allways the first to tell m that, and I live in Holland...
But if you go to a country thats ages behind on equality and values the West considers as standard, then you really shouldnt act surpised when they bust your ass if you break their "laws". Especially if your a woman.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I'm so glad that we in the Western coalition of the virtuous are doing all we can to reform that corrupt and evil Saudi regime. I'd feel terrible if we were propping them up in any way whatsoever. How could any leader live with such hypocrisy?
Rest assured Fluff the countries that provide these terrorist bastards will suffer our full wrath. It's the democracy my friend, focus on the democracy.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
don't know about you, but i'm cranky if i don't have my coffee. starbucks is just one inroad to peace & stability. of course, if we took it seriously, we'd put up a few Peets

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
I found this just now on the CNN web page:

By Arwa Damon
CNN
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The images in the Basra police file are nauseating: Page after page of women killed in brutal fashion -- some strangled to death, their faces disfigured; others beheaded. All bear signs of torture.
art.basra.police.cnn.jpg

Police chief Gen. Abdul Jalil Khalaf holds a book cataloging the dead.
Click to view previous image
1 of 3
Click to view next image

The women are killed, police say, because they failed to wear a headscarf or because they ignored other "rules" that secretive fundamentalist groups want to enforce.

"Fear, fear is always there," says 30-year-old Safana, an artist and university professor. "We don't know who to be afraid of. Maybe it's a friend or a student you teach. There is no break, no security. I don't know who to be afraid of."

Her fear is justified. Iraq's second-largest city, Basra, is a stronghold of conservative Shia groups. As many as 133 women were killed in Basra last year -- 79 for violation of "Islamic teachings" and 47 for so-called honor killings, according to IRIN, the news branch of the U.N.'s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

One glance through the police file is enough to understand the consequences. Basra's police chief, Gen. Abdul Jalil Khalaf, flips through the file, pointing to one unsolved case after another. Video Watch Khalaf show evidence of the brutality »

"I think so far, we have been unable to tackle this problem properly," he says. "There are many motives for these crimes and parties involved in killing women, by strangling, beheading, chopping off their hands, legs, heads."

"When I came to Basra a year ago," he says, "two women were killed in front of their kids. Their blood was flowing in front of their kids, they were crying. Another woman was killed in front of her 6-year-old son, another in front of her 11-year-old child, and yet another who was pregnant."
Don't Miss

* Jolie visits Iraq to help 'very vulnerable'
* Couple, son killed in U.S. raid
* New law may help banned Baathists return

The killers enforcing their own version of Islamic justice are rarely caught, while women live in fear.

Boldly splattered in red paint just outside the main downtown market, a chilling sign reads: "We warn against not wearing a headscarf and wearing makeup. Those who do not abide by this will be punished. God is our witness, we have notified you."

The attacks on the women of Basra have intensified since British forces withdrew to their base at the airport back in September, police say. Iraqi security forces took over after British troops pulled back, but are heavily infiltrated by militias.

And tracking the perpetrators of these crimes is nearly impossible, Khalaf says, adding that he doesn't have control of the thousands of policemen and officers.

"We're trying to trace crimes carried out by an anonymous enemy," he says.

Amnesty International has raised concern about the increasing violence toward women in Iraq, saying abductions, rapes and "honor killings" are on the rise.

"Politically active women, those who did not follow a strict dress code, and women [who are] human rights defenders were increasingly at risk of abuses, including by armed groups and religious extremists," Amnesty said in a 2007 report.

Sometimes, it's just the color of a woman's headscarf that can draw unwanted attention.

"One time, one of my female colleagues commented on the color of my headscarf," Safana says. "She said it would draw attention ... [and I should] avoid it and stick to colors like gray, brown and black."

This extremist ideology enrages many secular Muslim women, who say it's a misrepresentation of Islam.

Sawsan, another woman who works at a university, says the message from the radicals to women is simple: "They seem to be sending us a message to stay at home and keep your mouth shut."
advertisement

After the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003, Sawsan says, the situation was "the best." But now, she says, it's "the worst."

"We thought there would be freedom and democracy and women would have their rights. But all the things we were promised have not come true. There is only fear and horror."

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
More developments from the US's close ally:

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia's religious police have banned red roses ahead of Valentine's Day, forcing couples in the conservative Muslim nation to think of new ways to show their love.

The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice has ordered florists and gift shop owners in the capital Riyadh to remove any items colored scarlet, which is widely seen as symbolizing love, newspapers said.

"They visited us last night," the Saudi Gazette quoted an unidentified florist as saying.

It is not unusual for the Saudi vice squad to clamp down ahead of Valentine's Day, which it sees as encouraging relations between men and women outside of wedlock, the newspaper said.

Saudi Arabia imposes an austere form of Sunni Islam which prevents unrelated men and women from mixing, bans women from driving and demands that women wear a headscarf and a cloak.

Relations outside marriage are strictly banned and punishable by law.