Quantcast

Bitten by the DJ bug

Mar 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
Yeah, it's another "What bike should I buy?" thread.
I currently ride an '02 Hardrock and am looking for something that can take a little bit more punishment. I'm looking for an HT that will be used for DJ and Urban riding. It doesn't have to do anything else. I'm 5'11" 150 lbs and consider myself a better than average rider. I've been looking at the Specialized P.2 and it seems like my best bet from what I've researched. I really don't know much about bikes, I just love riding. Any other options in the $1000-ish price range worth looking into? Something I can upgrade as my skills progress (hopefully!).

Thanks in advance for the help.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
scurban said:
the specialized p-1 cromo is pimp. take a look at that bad boy!
Hell yes that bike is pimp, three guys at my work own those. But you could also look into the Chase 3 or even the 2. What about just a P.1 A1.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
p.1 cromo all the way. Cromo rides a he11 of a lot better than aluminum. Unless you like it when your ankles go numb from the vibrations.....

Mar 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
I've always been a fan of cromo, and the style of the small diameter tubing. Does anybody know the weight differences between a P2 and a P1 cromo?

Oh yeah, and I would need to slap on a front disc! I'm not that hardcore. One more question for now. How is the gearing on a single-speed?...is it similar to a BMX?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Friction Limit said:
I've always been a fan of cromo, and the style of the small diameter tubing. Does anybody know the weight differences between a P2 and a P1 cromo?

Oh yeah, and I would need to slap on a front disc! I'm not that hardcore. One more question for now. How is the gearing on a single-speed?...is it similar to a BMX?
The gearing on the single speed is good. Yea cromo i would say is mid 30's, since its chromoly, its pretty heavy, but the paint job and the giro are awesome.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I say test ride the Chromo. IF you are ever in MD, the shop I work at has 4 of them (3 are employee bikes and 1 was supposed to be my A1 but a Chromo came instead) and the price is good too. Chromo.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
yo Friction. Who are you? I should know you. BTW, I ride a black cromo DMR, so you can always test it out to feel what cromo is all about. p.1!!!!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Friction Limit said:

you could probably talk to your local specialized dealer to see if they can hook you up a deal on a front brake if you buy the bike. I think you can see the differences in weight on Specialized's web site. I don't think it will be too much heavier. I ride a cromo bike, and I love it, its diffinatley the way to go for a hard tail. The weight is a non issue, not only is it reassuring if you are into jumping, you can't really even notice the difference.

The gearing is great for jumping, but if you want to change it up, you can always buy a new rear cassette for $5-$30 (depending on what brand you get) and custimize it to however you like!

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Don't be scared away from steel just because it's heavy. Steel is sweet. I currently ride a P1, so I would point you towards those bikes. Great value for the price, especially if you can get one used.

For the gearing on a SS jumping bike, start with 2:1 (like a 32:16) and mess around from there. That's the ratio that I had before I put gears on my bike, and that's still the gear I go in for all my jumping.

Mar 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
motomike said:
yo Friction. Who are you? I should know you. BTW, I ride a black cromo DMR, so you can always test it out to feel what cromo is all about. p.1!!!!
I was at C. Park Sunday riding the red Hardrock Comp. I think you're the guy that reattached my rear derailleur with two new bolts this past Friday too.

This cro-mo is looking like the way to go. Looks to be a good starter that I can upgrade as I go. Thanks for all the help guys. Any more input is well appreciated!

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Eric, this is Alex. I was at Country Park on Sunday too on the white identiti with the white halo wheels. I would suggests checking out used bikes on ebay and here on the buy and sell section too. I got my identiti complete for only $550. If i were you I'd stick with gears so you can do some freeride stuff like Salem Lake with us. You can still do it on a single speed, but its just less versatile. Oh yeah, we might be goin to 915 skatepark tomorrow if you wanna head out. Private message me tomorrow and I'll let you know for sure