Quantcast

Black and whites

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
As Stewie said, "Ooh, you took a black and white picture of a lawn chair
and its shadow and developed it at Sav-On. You must be so brooding and deep."

Screw it. Let's see 'em anyhow. Just trying to learn how to do this digitally with varying degrees of success.

(Kilimanjaro, Mwenzi peak)

(And I need a negative carrier for my scanner.)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The best part about being a Luddite is that it's 1957 wherever I go. Comforting.

Jungfrau, die Schweitz. (now spotted.)

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I thought this thread was going to be about something else...
Nice pics though.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Burly, I'll courtesy-tag any threads for you with hot, interracial gay sex.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That kicks ass. And I like the strap where it is.

Ed: More hot glacier action!

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I want a neg scanner...it would motivate me to shoot MF and 35mm B&W again. I haven't scanned any film B&Ws.

Is it wrong that I like Delta 400 more than Tri-X? Please don't hang me :(

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, a med. format neg scanner, if you can even find a Coolscan 9000, is pretty steep...

I have an old Coolscan IV for 35mm and just ordered an Epson V500 flatbed, with glass negative carriers, to do larger formats. It's not the same, exactly, but will get the job done for while I'm way out here. And it was like $180.00.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
There was one on Amazon I was eyeing back when I had my Pentax 6x7 that was in the $200-300 price range, I think it was a Canon something? I can't really remember.

In any case, I don't even have a MF setup anymore. Definitely one of the things I'll pickup when I have the spare funds...I have a tough time shooting 35mm after spending a lot of time with MF.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MF stuff seems SO cheap now that the demand is so low...even a Hasselblad is a relative steal...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, boy. Cheap Epson flatbed scanner arrived. Medium format, baby!!

Let's start with the Holga I bought for my wife (pink) so she could get back into film with me...guess who was carrying and using it all the time through Paris...
(yes, I know, hackneyed, but what can you do??)

(gotta figure Miro would have used a Holga...)

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
C'est l'Afrique. And I'm totally digging my Rolleiflex.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Mike, that is awesome.

I've been working with another photographer recently who uses a lot of vintage cameras. Really cool to watch and seeing the results (from the Polaroids at least).

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What's funny is that the Rollei is really one of the least "vintage" cameras I've used compared to what I used to do... 4x5 field camera from the late 1800s and an 8x10 Burke and James probably from the 50s. And a whole bunch of folders and box cameras with rollfilm. The Rollei, though, still handles solidly and doesn't need to be treated like a relic, just a camera...it's really an awesome machine. Focusing screen, however, is dismal. May get an upgrade when I'm back in civilization.

Mamiya TLRs have been my standby forever, though. At least when I was using film, which I've only recently returned to.

Here's a mosquito net. Vignetting on the corners was a new one for me with the Rollei.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Hippo tracks.

Steph enduring the hardships of Africa, like the ice cream that our cuisiner makes and serves after lunch.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I just bought a old mamiya tlr on ebay, never played with film till now.
In santa fe new mexico.
This is kodak trix400? and I had it developed and scanned at a local lab.

dont know whats up with the weird spiral look up top though??

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Great choice. Mamiya TLRs are the best medium format value out there...awesome quality, cheap, simple, lots of capacity for various kinds of shooting.

The Bokeh Cult will worship your spiral out of focus areas. What lens is that?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Great choice. Mamiya TLRs are the best medium format value out there...awesome quality, cheap, simple, lots of capacity for various kinds of shooting.

The Bokeh Cult will worship your spiral out of focus areas. What lens is that?
Hey Mike, ya I am loving this camera. Haven't got any wicked BW's yet, just stuff like the above shot, boring. But some of my color stuff of my kid has been some of the best pics I have taken.
The lens is the 80 or 85mm. Its a c330 professional and was in pretty mint condition, I ended up losing the auction, but whoever won did not pay....the guy was local so he bailed on ebay and just did it local sale, so I got it for $225.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nice! The 65 and 105 are my favorite lenses for these. You can pick up a backup body like a C220 for around $75-100 if you want one (or want to carry both color and b/w...) The older chrome lenses are super-cheap, great quality, but might not be easily serviced and handle a lot more slowly than the black models.

Nothing boring about the b/w, although the subject matter has been well-trod--why not shoot some classic stuff while figuring out what you want to do?? (And continuing to take amazing photos of the kids...)

I'm kind of lost on what to photograph right now, myself. Haven't done too much I liked except for vacation shots. Might go see the mountain gorillas soon, which could lead to cool shots.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Actually, I have been enjoying photographing my chickens. And our [now late] little black chick. (All with a Mamiya, coincidentally...)

The rooster, Little Jerry Seinfeld, is a racist bastard who's quite suspicious of us.