Quantcast

Black chrome plating...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
...does anyone know a company that can do this on a bike?

I've been staring at drum pr0n and then suddenly..."What if my Chameleon had that finish....??!??"

:drool:

J

JRB

Does alloy even chrome worth a crap??? I don't know if it will.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
Does alloy even chrome worth a crap??? I don't know if it will.

The lugs on the drum above are all CNC aluminum, (same company I'm getting mine from) and the hoops are steel.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
Maybe some nice wood paneling?

Lemme know what ya come up with. The Stinky needs a new coat.
Uh, no. Cannondale tried that and failed miserably.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i looked into black crome a while. talked to alot of platers. Most did not do it but i got pointed in the direction to a few that did. The did it on show pieces that took no abuse. They said the surface is very susceptible to scratching. It is NOT a durable finish like crome.

that's all i learned.

joel

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Several companies make black chrome power coatings that look pretty good, at least online. Not the same as the real deal but probably a lot cheaper.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
hey - unrelated topic. a friend of mine saw savage republic @ SXSW and tells me they have recording and touring plans in '06
Sweet!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Jimmy_Pop said:
i looked into black crome a while. talked to alot of platers. Most did not do it but i got pointed in the direction to a few that did. The did it on show pieces that took no abuse. They said the surface is very susceptible to scratching. It is NOT a durable finish like crome.

that's all i learned.

joel
Hmm..good to know!

J

JRB

Chrome sucks for the environment though. Why not just powder??? I am sure they could match the finish closely, and then clear coat it.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I know a guy that just had his wheels for his motorcycle done in black chrome and they look very nice. He sent them somewhere in California, I believe. I'll see him this weekend and I'll ask him for you.

J

JRB

Potroast88 said:
I know a guy that just had his wheels for his motorcycle done in black chrome and they look very nice. He sent them somewhere in California, I believe. I'll see him this weekend and I'll ask him for you.
Hey man - still tossing the "deal" idea around in my head. I'll get with you this weekend.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Black chrome seems somewhat tough, my belt has black chrome studs and buckle and they have been going strong for over a year with no wear spots. The XTRs are done with a very thin powder coat, wich is no good for cranks, I beleive.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
fiddy_ryder said:
powder now comes in trans colors.. polish the surface then coat in trans black/gray
If you polish the surface, the powder won't stick. Just an FYI.

<edit> you could do a "chrome" powder base with a tinted clear that would give you sort of the same look. I shot a trans red over black ano and it was sweet.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
My Brother-In-Law paints custom bikes and he sometimes uses a chrome paint as a base and then sprays a candy over it and it turns out AWESOME!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Black chrome is an oxymoron.
If the drum pieces are alum, they are probably just anodized pewter.
There are some pewter/gunmetal powders that lood pretty decent as long as you don't put them on flat surfaces. (tubes look fine)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
buildyourown said:
Black chrome is an oxymoron.
If the drum pieces are alum, they are probably just anodized pewter.
There are some pewter/gunmetal powders that lood pretty decent as long as you don't put them on flat surfaces. (tubes look fine)
:think:

They don't anodize, it's no longer an option with them.

But the black chrome IS an option.

It can be done at home as well, but I don't want to get into that mess.

More info on it:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black_krome.html