Quantcast

Black diamond jumps rebuilt!!!!

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
If you park at the Coal Cart at Black Diamond, cross the street and stay on the gravel road, take your 2nd left and go down a little ways until you see the trails. Can't miss them.

Jun 29, 2009
WA
I think i might have to come out and check out those monstrous jumps out there. Did you use any of the existing jumps out there for the jump line?

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
I like the steep lips for more air time. Takes more skill to ride them, but that's good right?

Nobody needs to be riding big DH bikes at Black Diamond either, it's definitely small bike stuff.

Keep the hits coming builders and don't be disheartened by those with negative attitudes.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Not everyone has a small bike. I know people that only have a big bike. So try to make it so any bike can hit it.

I disagree. I too ONLY have a big bike.The builders have the right to make "it" as steep and gnarly as they want.....it's their sweat and time.If a person can't hit the big lines at B.D. then go ride somewhere else that is more @ your skill/ability/commitment level.

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
Not everyone has a small bike. I know people that only have a big bike. So try to make it so any bike can hit it.
anthoney you have a small travel bike so there really isnt a problem and ya up to the builders and they want lippey and thats what theres gonna be. theres duthie to learn how to ride mellow lips then the next step is black dimond. some of my friends only have small travel bikes or hard tails so this place rules.

Makana425

Monkey
Feb 21, 2008
Snocompton
anthoney you have a small travel bike so there really isnt a problem and ya up to the builders and they want lippey and thats what theres gonna be. theres duthie to learn how to ride mellow lips then the next step is black dimond. some of my friends only have small travel bikes or hard tails so this place rules.
I am saying I have a friend that all he has a big bike. I am not saying its a bad thing for me, i am just looking around to the other people. Just make atleast one line that all bikes can be on. You also have to remember how it was before it became "Black Diamond Park" It was hitable by any bike so why not keep the main line that way, and have a line dedicated to the steepest dirt jump imaginable.

Last edited:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
ride what ever bike you have its all good. Trails for all levels of riders too. What a great ride spot to have back, and soon to be better than ever.

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
For the folks that want to help dig come out on the 23rd. Bring a shovel or just your bike. The trails are looking really nice.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
What's the status on Garrett? Hope he's coming around ok!

The big line is what it is. They are doing a great job with the "B Line" off to the left of that line. Fast and flowy - something that both the HT and DH bikes can rally. As I recall, the berm trail was the same.

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
Im with Anthont on this. The line as it was could be ran with minimal pedaling on any bike. Dont we already have lots of places to ride for small travel bikes. Its not the steepness of the lips that suck for the big bikes, its the flow of the line. I used to pedal maybe five times now its a pedal from top to bottom. In my opinion it used to be a better jump line before the rebuild. I helped build some of the older jumps. Ill just have to keep the word mountain in the sport of mountain biking or conform to the new trend of public small travel bike parks. Its much more fun in my opinion to bomb down a big, knarly dh trail on my big bike anyways. You guys are doing a stellar job out there, to each his/her own. cheers

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
^^^that's funny.

I don't want to get into this but I think we should summarize his post:
1. pedaling rocks
2. flow sucks
3. "knarly" is the new rad

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
i like the blog! just add some brazilian jiujitsu in the mix for the most intense workout without a gym or free weights.

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
this is not about riding duthie to get better so you can ride bigger lippy jumps. I personally think duthie is a step above BD jumps in regards to skill level. its about the effort it takes to hit this jumps with a big bike when you have to constantly pedal to make the gaps " not much fun for me" at least when anthony builds he does so keeping every rider in mind to a certain point, that is what its about especially at places like BD. besides the way the old line was could be hit by a big bike with minimal pedaling but someone always has to change something to his or her own needs without considering prior building and the needs of others. thats why black market riding will always be the best "someone builds a trail and nobody f*cks with it" and if they do and get caught they get knocked the f*ck out by a guy wearing a mask and weighs 100 pounds heavier than that little zit faced grom who only rides so they can pose for spectators.

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
wow there fella. wait hold on there did u just say that it take more skill to ride duthie's jumps then BD, our buddy Garret just cut the whole top half of his head open at BD (hes doing good all stitched up just a bit swollen) and he hits everything at duthie easy with no effort. peddaling harder for gaps isnt a higher skill its just lack of flow and lack of ability to pump. the new BD builders know how to build and they built a line that flows with no effort. they can build what they want and if they want more air time that thats what theres gonna be. believe it or not some people just like to be in the air. BD wasnt meant to be a Knarly DH place so i hear thers other spots for that. dont worry BD has lines for all skill levels.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Why all the angst? If ya don't like it/can't ride it.....go somehwere else....easy.

I live a couple blocks from the "new" Southwoods built by the man himself...I have an open invite to ride there(as long as I dig and sweep first;)) but guess what.....IT'S WAY THE FAWK BEYOND WHAT I'M WILLING TO COMMIT TO AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME:eek: Got VERT lips? Jeebus!!! So I go 45 minutes to Duthie, an hour to B.D., Jap Gulch,the Exits etc......

Such is life:thumb:

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
you just have to be careful that there aren't any pirates there. Sucks driving for an hour only to be attacked by a band o' pirates

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
wow there fella. wait hold on there did u just say that it take more skill to ride duthie's jumps then BD, our buddy Garret just cut the whole top half of his head open at BD (hes doing good all stitched up just a bit swollen) and he hits everything at duthie easy with no effort. peddaling harder for gaps isnt a higher skill its just lack of flow and lack of ability to pump. the new BD builders know how to build and they built a line that flows with no effort. they can build what they want and if they want more air time that thats what theres gonna be. believe it or not some people just like to be in the air. BD wasnt meant to be a Knarly DH place so i hear thers other spots for that. dont worry BD has lines for all skill levels.
wow there little boy! Read and comprehend the words before speaking kiddo. I said in my opinion duthie is a skill above bd, different strokes for different folks. Nobody said anything about the trail building skills of the crew, it flows great for small travel bikes, just not for big bikes. The old line was perfect for big bikes or any bikes for that matter. Its not a competition about skill unless your a poser of course. As for air time cool! good for you. Air time is great lippy jumps, big drops and gaps all good. This whole thing was about big bikes on a line built for small bikes thats all, it had nothing to do with r u good enough to hit lippy jumps. FYI its no problem hitting those jumps on my big bike in fact it gets boring after a few times. I wish i could afford a jump bike then I could be as cool as you.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Jeez people, where's the stoke? Turn off your computer, go grab a damn shovel and lend a hand.

The folks down in BD have done it right, they got permission to build from the land owner, and they're building trails for multiple skill levels. We need many styles of trails in many locations.

Thanks builders, you guys rock!

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
If you want your 2cents heard please come out this weekend and help us. Lots of work needing to be done.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
dont listen to juice or dirtmover. internet fighting is waaaaaaaay cooler than actually building stuff.

Jul 7, 2007
Bothell
Southwoods is not to be mentioned in a mtb forum, or the internet at all for that matter. lol

All you kids complaining about steep jumps, go ride burke-gilman trail.

Last time i was there i saw a 40+ year old guy having no trouble through the "booty jumps" on a full on dh bike. Therefore any arguement of "too much travel" is out the window.

These "booty jumps" are whats progressing the sport. If you feel you cant ride them, it is not because they are too big or too steep, it is because you are not quite experienced enough to ride them. Everyone CAN ride these, all it takes is practice. So instead of bitching about some dialed jumps, go practice so you can eventually ride them!

Man up!

Also props to the builders, this is unargueably the best legal bike park I've ever ridden. And its not even done! Amazing!

Ill be there for the dig party!

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
FYI its no problem hitting those jumps on my big bike in fact it gets boring after a few times. I wish i could afford a jump bike then I could be as cool as you.
oh dude, dude dont evan worry about it then if you can hit those jumps no problem then theres really nothing for you to complain about then. who cares how the old line ran its gone now. no reason to bring it up and say thats how the jumps should have been. its cool if you get board of hitting a line a few times happens to me sometimes or it gets dark. oh have i met you before?

Jun 23, 2009
dbirds2,

If you only knew the work and care put into those jumps to make them enjoyable for BIKES. The main "booty" jumps are shaped and refined almost daily. They even had blow torches out yesterday so they could dry out the jumps to make them enjoyable for BIKES. They really want to do this one right. (trust me, the builders read this) Half of the trail builders ride long travel bikes...maybe the park is not your cup of tea. You want knarly and there are other places for that as stated before. How can one find so many negatives from such a positive project for the community from a fellow mtbr? People that live and breath bikes have developed skills and seek progression that these types of jumps provide. Come on out to Dirt day the 23rd or the 16th one more time and watch some big and small bikes alike(BIKES) throw down and do some digging and maybe give your input.:thumb:

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
Yo DBirds!

I seem to recall you moving away from Seattle and then pretty much badmouthing all of the riding in the Seattle area. Looks like you've moved back to town....

So, now, they've got dedicated, hardworking people who are 100% authorized to build in the BD area and all you can do is pi$$ and moan about the build quality and how "boring" it is? Wow, I guess I'm a little confused.

Most peeps on here know my motto.....talk with a shovel in your hand and you'll get a much better reception for your comments. Otherwise, STFU.

To the BD builders. Thank you for your efforts. Keep digging, create your own identity and don't let the naysayers get you down.

Word.
EB

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
yo dbirds!

I seem to recall you moving away from seattle and then pretty much badmouthing all of the riding in the seattle area. Looks like you've moved back to town....

So, now, they've got dedicated, hardworking people who are 100% authorized to build in the bd area and all you can do is pi$$ and moan about the build quality and how "boring" it is? Wow, i guess i'm a little confused.

Most peeps on here know my motto.....talk with a shovel in your hand and you'll get a much better reception for your comments. Otherwise, stfu.

To the bd builders. Thank you for your efforts. Keep digging, create your own identity and don't let the naysayers get you down.

Word.
Eb
word!

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
do you people actually read and comprehend the words. I never said anything bad about the work they are doing in fact I said they were doing a STELLAR JOB! I do throw dirt and I did build jumps on the previous jumps at bd and I was riding there before they rebuilt everything. Oh I even threw some dirt there to touch up the berm line and lips so you could hit them. And Im not going to lie but places like these bike parks do get boring after a few times through. The only thing I said was in my opinion it was better before the rebuild for bigger bikes especially the main jump line from the start all the way to the bottom where the dukes of hazard used to be. So all you dbird haters where were you 2 months ago when I was there with a couple of kids throwing dirt so you could ride those jumps.

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
I have a feeling we dug together out there before so come out this weekend and help throw more dirt around. If you liked it before you should like it again. Yeah it's not the size of Duthie or the steep gnar of other spots but still worth it to come and play in the dirt. Lots of awesome work has been done and everyone that is involved has put in there fair share into making this place awesome once again. Bring your big bike, your little bike or your tricycle and I bet you will still have fun.

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
so there isn't enough slope for big bikes?
lame :\
there is, you just have to pedal your ass off. The dirt is fresh, we'll see over time. The old jump line in my opinion was the best jump line for big bikes right behind brake check and sst. It was smooth and on a dry day maybe you took five cranks.

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
Yes there is & once you figure out the flow you wont have to pedal that much. Big bikes are awesome there.