Quantcast

Black fork

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
Does anyone have a Manitou Black Comp fork? How do you like it. I am looking at the "2003" 100-120mm comp. Is it a smooth working for? What are the good and bads about it? It would be going on a Truth....
I have a 2001 Marz Z-5 on it right now, but was thinking about an upgrade.
Later.............

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I upgraded to an '03 Black Comp 100-120 about a month ago on my NRS, and so far it's been great. It's been real smooth so far, and I haven't had it bottom out. It's probably more of a trail fork than a freeride fork, but it handles the rough stuff really well at 120.

I've got one, too, and like it. Unfortunately, being a retrogrouch that only got a new fork when the old couldn't be rebuilt again...I can't compare it to much. It steers well, doesn't weigh too much and doesn't flex too much under my 235lb. I'm using it as an XC/Trail fork, set to 100 and switching on the fly to 120 for the steepest descents only.

May 9, 2003
KENT'S EAST HILL
my friend had a 02 black on a nrs 2 and the 120 - 100 internal parts broke and was stuck on 120. repair took only 10 days.

he dosent jump at all but he does ride into curbs.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by black sunshine
my friend had a 02 black on a nrs 2 and the 120 - 100 internal parts broke and was stuck on 120. repair took only 10 days.

he dosent jump at all but he does ride into curbs.
riding into curbs is worse then jumping around...

eg: my bmx friend airs out 20 foot doubles with out ever having a problem popping his front tires. On the way back from a ride one day he wasnt looking and plows his bike into the curb, the tube explodes and his day is done.