Quantcast

$$Black Ice Tewsday$$

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Shit got real in our house as well, but for totally different reasons. Wife has informed school she will not be back to teach next year. Like 90% of teachers inevitably do, she has reached peak FTS/Burnout with admin and parents. Will return to school herself this summer to pursue radiology/sonography tech. Will make for a lean couple of years, but long term I may be early retiring.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shit got real in our house as well, but for totally different reasons. Wife has informed school she will not be back to teach next year. Like 90% of teachers inevitably do, she has reached peak FTS/Burnout with admin and parents. Will return to school herself this summer to pursue radiology/sonography tech. Will make for a lean couple of years, but long term I may be early retiring.
guess your kid should get a ///Job

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
My wife was a special ed teacher, burned out, then regular teacher, burned out, now she's an assistant principal. This should last until she's vested in her pension.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
She could take some additional courses in E-bike and Peloton maintenance to really make bank, I know just the radiologist...

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I gather she's not interested in staying in education but my buddy's wife in Denver (a former teacher) has a sweet work from home / meet students in their homes gig.

I never really talk "shop" with her but think it has to do with IEPs and special needs kids which has its own set of challenges but she definitely enjoys NOT working in a classroom.

While your budget will be tight, a career switcheroo may free up some family time for a trip to Yellowstone?

Mi casa es su casa... :popcorn:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My wife was a special ed teacher, burned out, then regular teacher, burned out, now she's an assistant principal. This should last until she's vested in her pension.
my mom was close enough to retirement that she got a job in another school district. the commute was longer but she said it was worth it.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Thanks fellas. It's been a long time coming with the wife. She's already a lot better off mentally knowing that the end is nigh. It's unfortunate because she loves the kids, but the amount of administration/parental bullshit really is crazy. My math skills are poor but I believe we can cover the loss of income and pay for most, if not all of her school without incurring a load of debt, I just wont be buying any bikes/skis for a while.

pet candiru.
Is it safe to google this at work?

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
i've heard of a few breweries making dog treats from them as well

I make a batch of these with spent grains whenever I brew a batch of beer. Doggos love em. Then again, the doggos eat their own shit in the back yard, so what do they know?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@TN again you need to start a thread where you just tell more of your fucking stories! If this is anything like going swimming on acid, then i want to hear moar
Nah dude. Keep that shit out of writing. If he needs to vent, he just comes down to Golden and drinks with the group.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks fellas. It's been a long time coming with the wife. She's already a lot better off mentally knowing that the end is nigh. It's unfortunate because she loves the kids, but the amount of administration/parental bullshit really is crazy. My math skills are poor but I believe we can cover the loss of income and pay for most, if not all of her school without incurring a load of debt, I just wont be buying any bikes/skis for a while.

Is it safe to google this at work?
PERA or El Paso Cnty? Call me before you do anything with her plan(s).

She's middle school, right? The FTS level from middle school teachers I see is huge (I handle one of the huge districts in metro). If you were to look at a bell curve of FTS to retire at PERA qualification from teachers, it peaks at 7th and goes down from there with a slight rise in K-1.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, either they are STILL looking for a drone tester (I applied 3 months back) or it was more than one dude could do (I also voiced concerns about the ask). But the ad has been up for a week.

<edit> just got notice that all work laptops will get a Cisco agent that will apply the Corp internet filtering while not on Corp network, too. :rofl:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
PERA or El Paso Cnty? Call me before you do anything with her plan(s).

She's middle school, right? The FTS level from middle school teachers I see is huge (I handle one of the huge districts in metro). If you were to look at a bell curve of FTS to retire at PERA qualification from teachers, it peaks at 7th and goes down from there with a slight rise in K-1.
2nd grade, and PERA. The "plan", at least so far is to do nothing with it, because FSM only knows where she might wind up working when this is all said and done.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
2nd grade, and PERA. The "plan", at least so far is to do nothing with it, because FSM only knows where she might wind up working when this is all said and done.
The last thing you want to do is reset your PERA table!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Locking up your wheels IS an effective way to stop, you just gotta lock them up early.

We get black ice all the time during early Fall when the sun is too low to directly heat the pavement, it frosts over at night and is slick at night. Same radiation cooling causes rain to freeze to the surface too. They keep saying studdless tires are "just as good", in an attempt to minimize road damage IMO. That **** doesn't hold up in the real world IME.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was actually under the impression that if one ever "leaves" PERA, you can't come back into it.
Nope; it has to do with what you do with your PERA funds. Call me later; I'm done at 3pm today and I can explain it better.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Paid?
I still don’t get how that works.
or doesn’t.
Yes, paid. It works exactly like PTO normally does. Except there is no "you get 3 weeks of PTO" nonsense. As @mandown points out, the company DEFINITELY profits from keeping it off the books, so I figure 6-1/2 weeks isn't out of line considering we should all share in the profits of the plan.

But as @Jozz also points out... perhaps I should have them pay even more. :fancy: