Quantcast

Black Mountain Trail Saturday

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Anybody up for riding in Brevard Saturday ? I'm thinking about riding up Claw Hammer to Black mountain sometime Saturday afternoon. Wouldn't mind a little company, but I'm a slow climber...

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I've got Prom Saturday(My daughters) and Sunday is Mommy day, but I'd opt to climb up Buckhorn to avoid the first part of the Claw.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Climbing up Buckhorn will be longer but not sure how much time it would add. Unless I was racing I would opt for the fun route vs gravel grinder.It avoids the steeper part IMO.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Isn't Buckhorn pretty much a gully? If you're in town, we should at least fist bump or something.

I'll be at the ball fields all day for my girls softball tournaments in Etowah (10 minutes away), but I can't hook up to ride with you either. :(

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
buckhorn won't be all that much longer than going up the road. Probably adds a half hour. it's all rideable with a few stream crossings. Take 477 up and take a right on avery creek for some fun flat techy stuff then take a right on buckhorn and climb up. It will pop you out 2/3 of the way up to the top of clawhammer. Can also stop and see twin falls along the way if you like, its pretty cool.

I would come show you but I'll be running the volunteer day at Bracken Mountain

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Thanks for tips.

Unfortunately my trip didn't go quite as planned. I wound up only having time to ride Tsali since I was in the area on Saturday. It stared raining right when I got there, but it was just a shower and cleared up. Rode Thompson and Mouse which has probably been at least 7 years since the last time I was there. Easy but fun little ride. The mouse overlook loop seems like it's new or I just don't remember it. That was a fun section with the handful of switchbacks.

Maybe a few of us can hook up for Black mountain ride this season. Still craving a long painful ride in Pisgah.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
:rofl:

You can go climb up Mt. Mitchell on your DH bike and then ride down some random trails that has not been touched since the Indians walked on it.
Don't forget the part where I swapped bikes and pedaled your behemoth for you in rigid XC shoes w/ Shimano cleats unclipped on your Time pedals to give you a break. ;)
I still consider that one of the kindest gestures of my life...right up there with giving my kids the last bite of cake.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Don't forget the part where I swapped bikes and pedaled your behemoth for you in rigid XC shoes w/ Shimano cleats unclipped on your Time pedals to give you a break. ;)
I still consider that one of the kindest gestures of my life...right up there with giving my kids the last bite of cake.
Yes, it was kind and was also needed if we wanted to get back home before dark. I was on a 45 pound Intense M1 with a 46t chainring and a road cassette climbing up the Blue Ridge parkway in the winter. I would have been encino man in another hour.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Anytime a ride finishes with me being the first one back to the car, you know there was some f-in attrition and handicapping going on.

Christian Franklin yesterday said "I always liked going riding with Fred. He always said we were doing a shuttle, but it was just an adventure."