Quantcast

black spire chain guide

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
for those of you that have a blackspire chain guide, or are planning on getting one, DONT, you will regret it. my chain came clean out of the guide system right before the step down at sea tac and i ate **** hardcore when i went off the step down with one foot on one pedal while sitting on the frame.....the chain guide just plain failed. it just slipped right out of the space between the bash guard and the "guide" piece and i thought i was gonna die!!!!! but ya, thats the first guide that i have actually seen that happen with. so ya, no black spire for me any more......what are people running these days, i have had E13s and i havent been that happy with them have they gotten better?? what else are people running and like??? give me some suggestions...and oh ya, its goin on an 06 SX Trail 2 with holzfeller cranks and the external bb...so keep that in mind

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
But I do tend to lean towards E13, even though I've never tried gamut...

my chain has yet to fall off of my e13 srs and I've had the bike for almost 7 months

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
My chain always stays on with an E13, even when it really counts like at nationals i never had a problem.
it holds up under pressure and is fairly bombproof. A little on the heavy side but at least you know its relialble. E13's work fine with external bottom brackets you just have to get the spacing right for it to work really smoothly.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
We run E-13 and Blackspires for single and daul rings with no problems. Sounds like there was too much space between the roller and bash guard.

Sorry you ate it man.

You seen budman lately?

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Jesse,

you ok? i have had zero chain drops with the e-13s i have run (two drs and an sts) the Mrp i ran for a while was good but it would drop every once in a while. gumat is coming out with a p36 that would be good on your bike. other wise i say get an e13 sts 36 max

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
i have the same guide as you on my sx trail, and it sucks major balls. the spacers that came with it put the chain ring too far from the inner plate, and so i had the chain falling off to the inside all day after i bougth it. i have even had it fall of onto the bash plate a few times!! i'm definatly going to save up for a mrp.

Budman

Chimp
Nov 14, 2003
Seattle
Jesse that sucks that you ate it.. Yeah scott im still around.. im going to stop into the shop soon. i need to figure out a new bike to get... i sold all my other ones and its about time that i get a new one..

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
blackspire work fine when set up correctly and e13 just a bit better, mrp are good too. haven't used any others.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I haven't had any issues with the Blackspire Stinger that came with my Enduro. I don't go big, but for trails it has done everything I would expect it to. I like the MRP and E13 too, but for a cheap it has worked pretty well.

Yeah, sorry to hear you ate it.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
i think im goin e13 srs....sounds like the most popular and best around...so i guess!!! and btw the spacing sucks with it too...but theres no way i can ever trust it again after what happened...that was frickin scary

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
No offence my friend, but it sounds to me like you didn't have it set up correctly !:huh: When set up correctly Blackspire guides work very well, both single and dual ring.
I run a custom cnc"d Blackspire knockoff, its been bombproof for two years now. And there is no way possible for me to ever loose a chain,

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I know how you feel, in a way. I had a bike that was run over by a car, closest I've ever come to dying (that I am aware of) on a bike, that I could never look the same way at again even though the only damage to it (miraculously) was cosmetic and it wasn't the bike's fault at all. Sold it back to the guy who sold it to me and called it good.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
gamuts are awsome, e 13 is good as well. gamut has alot better customer service though. it really depends on if you want a roller or not. both are good, rollers make noise
I would really appreciate it if you could drop us a line at support@e13components and give us some info on how our customer service has failed you. We pride ourselves on offering proactive and quick customer service. In 5 years I've heard huge amounts of praise about e13 customer support from riders, so it really surprises me to hear anything otherwise and I want to undestand so we can get even better.

Thanks

Dave