Quantcast

Blackberry to Android

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
What are the must have apps? Let's start with the freebies and go from there. Business related, bike related, photo related, etc are all acceptable. Several years with Blackberry devices and the most I use are translators, QR code readers, twitter, google stuff (built in now of course) and the occasional game.

Let's hear it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Theres a ton of great atuff out there. I jumped from bb to android and never looked back. Some highlights:

Springpad -cloud based note program, but also stores bookmarks and links

Yiu can browse the android market from your desktop/laptop and remotely install apps that way too. I find it to be easier to discover things that way.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I used to swear by xScope browser, but Dolphin Browser HD is pretty good and I've switched now because of some features that I like better.

LightFlow is a fantastic way to manage notifications if you have a notification LED. It allows many colors/sequential color blinking/notifications for a million apps and even notifications that the Android system doesn't allow.

QuickPic is a very lightweight, fast photo gallery.

SwiftKey X is a nice keyboard, currently my favorite. Seems to have by far the best word prediction and auto-complete.

I use UrbanSpoon quite a lot when traveling.

Tasker is a complex and somewhat expensive program but will allow you to dig into the guts of your phone and configure it to act different ways based on events. For instance, if my Bluetooth headset connects, I have it set to automatically turn my media volume to 100%. When my headphones connect, volume goes up to 50%. When either disconnects, media volume goes to zero.

SwitchPro is a great set of widgets that will let you turn on and off various parts of your phone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
agreed with tasker: takes a lot of involvement and time to set up how you want it, but the pay off is untouched. another example: you can also set GPS based events, like turning your ringer to vibrate/silent when you arrive at work.

music:

google music is great. still some bugs to work out, but i use it more than anything else for music.

pandora: self explanatory

winamp is a great standalone player for local files

games:

bloo kid: retro 8bit look and feel. one of my favs.

common games: solitare, sudoku, angry birds. i also have an snes emulator on my tablet which is good fun.

netflix is currently device dependent, but most newer devices are supported. list of compatible devices is constantly expanding. Also, netflix's current approach is that if you sideload their app onto an unsupported device and it works, good for you.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
What are the must have apps? Let's start with the freebies and go from there. Business related, bike related, photo related, etc are all acceptable. Several years with Blackberry devices and the most I use are translators, QR code readers, twitter, google stuff (built in now of course) and the occasional game.

Let's hear it.
Barcode Scanner.

Best Parking.

Decline Magazine.

Dolphin Browser.

ESPN Scorecenter. (Lets you add only the teams you want to follow)

MapQuest. (Nice GPS app for your car)

Movies. (App shortcut looks like a bucket of popcorn).

My Tracks - (MTB GPS app. Tons of features.)

MyWeather Mobile.

Opera mini browser.

Out of milk. (Grocery list app)

Sudoku 10,000.

Tweetcaster. (Twitter app).

USA Today.

Urbanspoon.

US Traffic.

Yahoo Live Scores.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
how is dolphin on gingerbread?

I like

Launcher pro: great layout, great widgets.
Evernote: cloud based note system, cross platform.
Dropbox: cloud storage.
Astro: for managing files on the phone
F1: if you are in to F1
Shazam: Self explanatory

Games:
blow up, spaghetti and marshmallows.