Quantcast

Blackberry Users Learning Painful Lesson

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Blackberry Users Learning Painful Lesson
AP | Oct 20 | ALICIA CHANG

LOS ANGELES - Chris Claypool was addicted to his BlackBerry wireless handheld. Like many users, he never thought twice about pecking away at lightning speed, replying to a wave of e-mails from clients around the globe.

Last year, the 37-year-old agricultural sales director from Post Falls, Idaho, noticed a throbbing sensation in this thumbs whenever he typed. He switched to tapping with his index finger, then his middle digit and finally his pinky. But his thumbs pained him to the point where he can't even press the buttons on his TV remote control.

After months of aching, Claypool took a break. Now he only uses his BlackBerry to send short messages _ typing with the tip of a pencil eraser whenever his thumbs get sore.

"It affects business because I can't whack away on my BlackBerry like I used to," he said. "It's just too painful."

Repetitive motion injuries, which have long afflicted desktop and laptop computer users, are invading the mobile handheld world.

There's even an informal name for the malady _ "BlackBerry Thumb" _ a catch-all phrase that describes a repetitive stress injury of the thumb as a result of overusing small gadget keypads.
More...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's great. I just sent it to my boss. He can't go 2 minutes without sending a message, or taking a call on that stupid thing.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I feel shame because I dont own one, and if one came and kicked me in the nuts I would not know what it was without asking. But now, somehow, I feel vindicated...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Heh, Blackberry owners are going to feel it big time when the courts order them to shut the service down soon.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
i cant beleive stuff like this really happens. it would have to take hours several hundred hours of typing for stuff like this to happen. either he needs to get a life or take it or not take his so seriously