Quantcast

blackbox boxxer pics

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
looks like larger diameter legs...i don't mind the new look...hopefully we'll find out whats inside

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
38mm lowers. "Official" unveiling is at Maribor on Wednesday.
Did you mean uppers? Lower leg diameter is kind of useless.

I'm kinda curious here - because last year you dropped rumours about the 08 fork (I believe you said bigger stanchions and/or significant changes anyway) and it ended up being the same apart from minor lower updates.

To my eyes at least, comparing with pics of 888's (which are 38mm this year), those boxxer pics don't look 38mm. Guess that's why I'm asking for clarification. :)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Wouldn't larger stanchions create more friction theoretically? hence more surface area? Especially if its an Air fork.

Unless Rockshox got that all Covered :cheers:
If you didn't have any lubrication or flex in your fork yes, but in a real world situation, no. More surface area means more area to spread the load, especially on the lubricating oil film, which means a thicker film and thus less friction. Due to the increased bushing stiffness, you also get less binding effect. 40s are IMO unquestionably the most frictionless fork available, and in my opinion the large stanchions are the main reason why.

Those stanchions look like 35mm or so, which should be sweet - big enough to make a stiffness difference without being so big that the wall thickness has to be significantly less. Here's hoping it all works out!

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Looks nice too me. I'm guessing 35mm. like the Lyrics, or are they 36...? I hope they keep te airspring actualy, as I dig my solo air boxxer.
We'll find some 09's for cheap on ebay in a few days I guess :)

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
My guess is if they keep the SoloAir, but go with larger stantions, that would provide a larger air piston allowing for more precise air setup.

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
No power bulges? SRAM seems pretty proud of those. They're even trotting them out for the SID.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
top pic off set crown and different stearing trail anyone
I would bet the total trail is identical to the current fork.

But fatter legs requires more offset of the axle in the lowers casting, meaning less offset in the crowns. Plus, it looks like the lowers extend further as well, the forks probably have more bushing over lap then the current forks.