Quantcast

blackbox cranks

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
the blackbox cranks that the syndicate run look just like stylos.
what do you guy think, stiffened up stylos?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Stylos are forged so unless they are protos, they aren't any different. You don't put huge money into a die set unless you are going to production. Even in Asia, you're looking at 5 figures.
They are probably just stylo arms pressed onto an 83mm spindle.

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR
Does anyone know how long this crank has been a blackbox part? I seem to recall seeing this on SRAM sponsored rider bikes for at least a couple of years. I'm a big fan of 2-piece cranks like the Saints and I wonder how much more testing is necessary. Too late to show up at Interbike?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Does anyone know how long this crank has been a blackbox part? I seem to recall seeing this on SRAM sponsored rider bikes for at least a couple of years. I'm a big fan of 2-piece cranks like the Saints and I wonder how much more testing is necessary. Too late to show up at Interbike?
They showed up on bikes at the beginning of this season. Somehow I doubt SRAM will make these available to the public - kinda like Shimano releasing an 83mm BB version of the XT or XTR cranks.

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR
They showed up on bikes at the beginning of this season. Somehow I doubt SRAM will make these available to the public - kinda like Shimano releasing an 83mm BB version of the XT or XTR cranks.
Too bad, I don't really care for their 3 piece cranks. Guess I'm sticking with Saints.

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
yes i agree with this, because stylo is the xt of sram bassically. it is just amazing that they dont break them. i wonder how often they go through them.

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
well yes, there is a model of stylos that are shaped slightly diff but there also is another model that is shaped exactly the same.