Quantcast

blackmarket frame owners...gearing question

wishihadmoney

Monkey
Dec 1, 2005
Boone, NC
hey im trying to figure out what gearing to run on my riot frame. were sittin here building it up and in order to make the 36 tooth chainring ive got clear the chainstays it leaves hardly no spindle on the other side with the spacers on. ive got a 25 tooth chainring sittin here but the smallest rear cog for my hub is a 13 tooth. any help?

wishihadmoney

Monkey
Dec 1, 2005
Boone, NC
ya i dont have a 13 cog right now ive got 16. i meant i could get 13. but im worried bout buyin another stinkin chainring and it not workin either. nebody who has a blackmarket frame want to tell me their gearing???

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
What frame you have is irrelevant to what gearing to run.
You can probably get a 12T cog, I use one. Mentioning the hub you have might help.
I think I have deciphered part of your message. You have to add extra spacers to the spindle for the 36T to clear the chainstays. That's when you have "hardly no spindle"?
If you have 26" wheels, shoot for slightly higher than 2:1 gearing. I like 2.25 to 1 a lot (27/12). I would not recommend going much higher than that though.

wishihadmoney

Monkey
Dec 1, 2005
Boone, NC
ya reading back over that i realize i sound like an idiot. sry i tried to clear it up a bit. ya im sayin blackmarket frames cause i wanta know if people are runnin chainrings higher than say a 28 tooth and clearinthe chainstays. does the 25/12 not feel like a really high gearing?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
does the 25/12 not feel like a really high gearing?
It's actually pretty low, compared to what I run now. It depends on how strong you are, and what kind of riding you prefer.
Remember, the size of the rings is irrelevant, it's the difference that is the key. Divide the large by the small and you have the gear ratio.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I have a mob set up with a 25/12, seems super good to me. I had a 13 on there but it spun out a wee bit to fast. If your doing lots of hills consider that route, but IMO that 12 is perfect.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've got a 34t on an xt crank on a mob, but yeah I had to space it over a bit and there is less spindle on the non-drive side than I would like. I can see that a 36 would not fly, the 34 barely works.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
im running a 33 with primo hollowbites. eventually i will build a wheel with an odyssey hazard hub with a 9t driver and my 22t ring.