Quantcast

Blackspire vs. Evil?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have a Blackspire on my Rotec. I did dump the white plastic roller for a rubber Orange MRP roller. I never could get the BS roller to work...it would bind and stay locked....made noise, etc.

The MRP roller is quite and does a great job...no problem.

On my Rotec since my chainguide is mounted to the swingarm it follows the rear wheels so the solid top bar rarely touches the chain. It works great on my bike. Ask someone else who has a normal mounting if the chain rubbing the upper plastic block annoys them because it doesn't rub on mine. the Evil is similiar inthat is also has a block guide on the top. I would have to give the edge to Evil on the upper block but I don't have trail time on the design yet....only watching my teammates set ups.

I am trying to mount an evil SRS on my Rotec but I need to dril some holes to make it work. My old Rotec has pre ISCG mounts so the stock holes don't line up. I had to drip out the BB hole and drill mount holes on my BS aslo. ANy modification I do to make the guides to fit my unusual pre-std bike is not any reflection on either guide.

The ring gaurd is pretty beefy on the BS for aluminum. I have been running mine for over 3 years and it is still straight. The Evil ring guard is nice also.

I have nothing bad to say about either except the white roller I could not get to work....not a deal breaker by any means. <$20 and everything is good. Ican'[t wait tofinally get my Evil SRS running to give it a try.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Evil guides you get alot for what you pay for. I had no issues setting up my Evil guide on my M1. Went on like it was suspose to short of I didn't use the ISCG mounts cause Intense was retarded and welded them wrong :(

Guides are guides in my book. A MRP will do the same if not similar thing as a blackspire as a evil as anything else. It is just all prefrence though, some bikes like different guides then others.

My vote is for the evil/e.thirteen guide

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
evil/e13 hands down. I like it much better than my mrp. although they both work well, the bash ring on the mrp got all chewed from street riding and would sometimes grab the chain until I ground it d0wn. evil you can ride street all day and it still runs smooth without having to adjust it.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by BigMike
Pros, Cons of each?

discuss

EDIT: I'm talking about Chainguids by the way
Honestly? Really?

Well, working in the pits this weekend at Sea Otter. I personally thew away 3 Blackspire guides that were either....

A.)fuked
B.)fuked
C.)fuked

all three customers didn't want said guide back, two came back and thanked me after their race run because their chain didn't fall off 14 times like it did the previous day.

No bullsh*t... honest truth

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
having owned both for a long time, Evil no question.

The Blackspire has this really sh*tty way of positioning the "inner guide plate" in relation to the chain - these little pins that have set screws in them, that are easy to strip out, and once you set the pin in one spot, you can't move it 1mm over b/c the pins want to re-seat themselves in their old holes.

Also the roller doesn't spin for crap, as Rhino pointed out.

Mine always held my chain on, but it was much more of a pain to deal with than the Evil.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Had a Blackspire... Have an e.13 on the FedEx truck. I never lost a chain, but Blackspire has some ****ified rollers. They're hard plastic and they don't roll. I'm pretty sure I'll like my Evil/e.13 way better.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
I've had both.

Never once lost a chain with either. The Blackspire was coniderably more noisy. I ran the MRP roller like Rhino with some improvement as he has noted.

I currently run an Evil and will never ride anything but. My reasons are based on the technical superiority of the Evil combined with the fact that I like DW and will support his business over a company who I know nothing about. I don't know the folks at Blackspire and for all I know they couldn't care less if I like their product. Dave on the other hand has always been receptive to my feedback and has himself said thanks for riding their product and support them.

So yeah I guess it's personal.

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
I have an Evil on my Bullit and it's been 100% flawless. I just got a Truvativ Boxguide for my hardtail and it went on so easily I thought I'd missed something. Seems to work great so far, but I'm not running a bashguard. Got it pretty cheap from Ben at Unreal.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by binary visions
Sure glad this topic popped up.. Haven't seen one of these for, oh, probably 7 or 8 days now...

Yeah, but usually its MRP, I've never heard anything about Blackspire. Maybe I just didnt notice it. They seem fairly similar to me, thats why I asked here.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by BigMike
Yeah, but usually its MRP, I've never heard anything about Blackspire. Maybe I just didnt notice it. They seem fairly similar to me, thats why I asked here.
Don't pay any attention to me. I've been working too much and I'm cranky. But yes, the Blackspire has been discussed before :D

I've still yet to see a valid reason why there is another guide in existance that is better than either flavor of the Evil guides. Fact is, even the best guides just keep the chain on, and the Evil both keeps the chain on and comes with a superior bashguard to any other on the market...

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Has evil/e13 filed the paperwork for their 'shore-approved' certification? :rolleyes:

Although I don't live anywhere near BC's famed North Shore, I did grow up on Boston's North Shore and from what I hear it's kind of the same. :confused: